Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS sport model/package
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it was -35 here today. For you Americans that would be -31 degrees F. Lol. So, when I left my house there was a weird noise coming from under the car and it sounded like somewhere in line with the front doors....like under the front seats. It seemed to speed up with the speed of the car which leads me to drivetrain. Is there a hanger bearing in that area of the car? Actually I guess that would be the tranny output shaft area correct? When it gets this cold I usually let noises slide. I am going to put the car in the garage overnight and see if the noise is still there. Jus thought I would see what some of you had for ideas.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,803 Posts
Us Americans, as you so delicately put it :p, don't experience temperatures that cold. lol Unless they live in Alaska.

So I wouldn't know where to begin with an answer.

KOT

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kingoftypos said:
Us Americans, as you so delicately put it :p, don't experience temperatures that cold. lol Unless they live in Alaska.

So I wouldn't know where to begin with an answer.

KOT
Haha ya I hope it's the temp that is the cause, but just wondering if others have had a noise there and what the problem was. Didn't really sound metal on metal. It was an odd sound.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I routinely drive my '06 AWD V8 STS and drove my '04 CTS in -50F weather with no strange noises coming from underneath the car. Thirty below zero is an average January/February day around here and the cars operate with no problems. The present temp is -28F and headed for -34F. I suspect you are hearing vibrations emanating from cold solidified rubber engine/trans mounts.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,803 Posts
Haha ya I hope it's the temp that is the cause, but just wondering if others have bad a noise there and what the problem was. Didn't really sound metal on metal. It was an odd sound.
I understand. I love it when members come on here and describe a noise that I hear every winter. They are worried as all heck and I ask them how long have they lived in the "north". When they say this is their first winter, I just say get use to it. Your car will make noises that you never heard before. No matter what make/model. lol

But with you being that far north, I personally wouldn't know. I honestly only been in -9F, or for you Canadians -22C.

KOT

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya "us Canucks" lol are use to it. In just asking because I am kind of anal about this car and I want to stay on top of stuff as soon as it goes bad. So aside from the noise, I haven't crawled underneath the caddy yet. Never had to. But like I mentioned I am guessing that the only possibilities is either the tranny output or the hanger bearing correct?

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
I understand. I love it when members come on here and describe a noise that I hear every winter. They are worried as all heck and I ask them how long have they lived in the "north". When they say this is their first winter, I just say get use to it. Your car will make noises that you never heard before. No matter what make/model. lol

But with you being that far north, I personally wouldn't know. I honestly only been in -9F, or for you Canadians -22C.

KOT
And for the woosies out there, that's T-shirt weather, for us........:yup:

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
It's probably the center support bearing making the noise. Mine does the same thing in the winter. Never worried about it because it goes away when it gets warm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts