Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 ESCALADE ESV
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 ESV that is all wheel drive. Is anyone experiencing any kind of drive train noise? It seems like coming out of my subdivision in the morning at 20 mph it stubbles like it can't figure out what gear to be in. Almost like you were trying to drive a manual transmission in the wrong gear. This seems worse in the morning. Also, if you let on and off the gas it seems like there is play in the transmission or drive train. You can hear and feel slack or play in the system. This ESV has under 3000 miles on it. I did use 87 octane at the last fill up. I 'm going to put 93 in it today to see if it helps.
It also seems to transmit any road imperfections. It has the 22 tires and rims from the factory with 35 psi in the tires. We live in Florida so our roads are excellent. It almost seems like a washboard feeling. I doesn't seem to change with speed. This is probably due to large trucks rippling the blacktop. Maybe the 22's? I've had Corvettes so I know what harsh rides are all about. Why would GM put clip on weights on these wheels? You would think they would have used the stick on weights like they do for the Corvette. If this comes to a re balancing issue they better not mark the rim or they will replace it.
:hmm:

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT
115 Posts
Is it just the fact that when at 20mph your "in between" gears. with the 6 speed the gear ratio, i find, feels way different than that of my jeep cherokee, so when i first got my truck i was worried that something wasnt right. If im reading the post correctly, i felt that same thing at lower to mid speeds when coasting in between gears. When accelerating is it a smooth transition or still problematic? But i just re-read your post and says you hear a noise, so maybe im way off with my reply

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV
13 Posts
I have a noisy rear differential. It goes wah wah wah with a whiney gear sound when cruising or light acceleration. This is really disappointing me. It was a 77k vehicle, a Cadillac, and it was an upgrade from a completely stone silent Denali XL. I did not expect this problem at all. I did not upgrade, I downgraded, but spent money for an upgrade. The dealer mechanic says it is normal tranny sounds. That is BS and I don't know what to do about it. I told the mechanic I would think about it for awhile.

I also have more wind sounds than my Denali.

And I have wind throbs that shake my brain.

The dealer states it is normal, but none of this happened in my Denali. I want my Denali XL back.

I have a 2011 Escalade ESV.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I don't like 6 speed transmissions. In my V6 Dodge Ram, low speed (like 5-20mph) coasting is smooth and when I push on the gas it immediately "jumps". You don't feel the drivetrain at all. Yet on the Escalade, if I coast at low speed, especially when its just been started, it feels almost like I've got some resistance. The first Escalade we had, had a problem with the transmission that could never be fixed, so they took that one back and they gave us this other one. On this one, I have noticed that there is a slight "whirr" or whine sound on the 1 to 2 shift, but not between any of the other gears. I had similar problems with the 6 speed in my LS430, so I know it's not just me.

·
Registered
2011 ESCALADE ESV
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No whine or gear noise. At 20 mph driving out of my subdivision its just like you had a standard transmisson in maybe 4th gear. It jerks and clunks when you touch the gas. Also when coasting if you go on and off the gas you can hear gear lash.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV
13 Posts
Next time I drive I will check for gear lash. I think that all of the all wheel drive vehicles have some of it. My lexus LS470 had a lot of it. My Denali XL had some, but not obnoxious. I will get back on the Forum after my next drive.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
No whine or gear noise. At 20 mph driving out of my subdivision its just like you had a standard transmisson in maybe 4th gear. It jerks and clunks when you touch the gas. Also when coasting if you go on and off the gas you can hear gear lash.
Hmm, mine doesn't clunk or jerk really, but I do feel that resistance you are talking about.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV
13 Posts
ok, I just got back. I took mine out. 2011 ESV. I drove it cold and hot. I drove it at 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 MPH. I did it in Automatic, and in manual. I tried to get any kind of drive-line lash by coasting and then gassing it. I gotta tell ya, there is no drive-line lash or shifting stumbles in mine. I could not make the transmission shift in any way but super smooth. Once, when I gassed it as it was shifting from first to second, there was an abrupt shift into second. But that has to be expected as it was in between gears as I gassed it. I was very surprised by the smoothness, and the lack of lash. I was totally expecting that I could get it to bang back and forth between motor acceleration and motor deceleration. There was nothing. It was just smooth. I think, therefore, that you have a bad transmission. Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
2011 ESCALADE ESV
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I accelerate hard everything is fine. The only time I have trouble is at slow speeds ( 20mph ) with my foot just touching the gas feed to maitain 20 mph. When you are between coasting and touching the gas. Maybe it's confused and can't find the right gear? I'll find out today, it's going back to the dealership.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
When I accelerate hard everything is fine. The only time I have trouble is at slow speeds ( 20mph ) with my foot just touching the gas feed to maitain 20 mph. When you are between coasting and touching the gas. Maybe it's confused and can't find the right gear? I'll find out today, it's going back to the dealership.
Yea, that's not normal behavior, mine is not that bad at 20mph.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
You may want to replace the gear oil in the front and rear diffs, I did this to my 2010's and 2011 and the drivetrain is so quite now, I have had trouble with many of my Suburban's through the years, several were low in gear oil from the factory, as was one of my 07's and my 03' Escalade, it has always helped. :) You may want to check, I believe there is a recall for a rear diff bearing issue, my 11' was not in the recall numbers

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
I have a 2011 ESV that is all wheel drive. Is anyone experiencing any kind of drive train noise? It seems like coming out of my subdivision in the morning at 20 mph it stubbles like it can't figure out what gear to be in. Almost like you were trying to drive a manual transmission in the wrong gear. This seems worse in the morning. Also, if you let on and off the gas it seems like there is play in the transmission or drive train. You can hear and feel slack or play in the system. This ESV has under 3000 miles on it. I did use 87 octane at the last fill up. I 'm going to put 93 in it today to see if it helps.
It also seems to transmit any road imperfections. It has the 22 tires and rims from the factory with 35 psi in the tires. We live in Florida so our roads are excellent. It almost seems like a washboard feeling. I doesn't seem to change with speed. This is probably due to large trucks rippling the blacktop. Maybe the 22's? I've had Corvettes so I know what harsh rides are all about. Why would GM put clip on weights on these wheels? You would think they would have used the stick on weights like they do for the Corvette. If this comes to a re balancing issue they better not mark the rim or they will replace it.
:hmm:
Sorry to hear about that, I thought you were referring to the GM clunk that the drive trains make. I cautiously took mine out today. No new problems surfaced, got my power running board fixed. Anyway, I think maybe you just have whinny gears or something. I know you probably already checked, but check the tranny fluid just to make sure the level is correct. Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts