Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I have family that live in Chino (right next to Ontario), so I'm there somewhat frequently. And yes, Barak is located in Ontario I believe.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luna. said:
I have family that live in Chino (right next to Ontario), so I'm there somewhat frequently. And yes, Barak is located in Ontario I believe.
OK, here's the deal, we need a donor to go to Inland empire driveline to see if they can come up with a one peice carbon or aluminum driveshaft for the V.
I was goig to pull mine and ship it to them but its a pain and expensive.
If someone wants to volunteer?.... I believe their shop is in Corona.

They make quality shafts at reasonable prices. I have had a few.
My preference is aluminum..

http://www.iedls.com/

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
BowenCT said:
Wasn't BMR doing a carbon fiber drive shaft for the V?
BMR no longer makes one for the V. In fact, other than the proto-type I'm not sure they ever sold one. I did read of one GTO that blew apart their BMR CF driveshaft. BMR stood by the customer on this case.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Sorry to jack, but the thread does have a heading of DRIVESHAFT, but...
There should be a way for us to replace the rubber isolators. At minimum, with polyurethane...better-poly molded around a steel innard...best-steel or aluminum.
I was looking at the shaft, where it joins the T56 tailshaft, and was amazed at the beefy chunk of rubber there.

Really, a CF driveshaft will be big bucks...aluminum would be MUCH cheaper. It should be a great change, but I'm not sure the benefit would be so great without a solid flywheel.

Again, sorry to jack.
-ace

·
Registered
490 Posts
It should be a great change, but I'm not sure the benefit would be so great without a solid flywheel.
Without the center support bearing we should pick up about 2% more horsepower. It depends how much you are willing to spend for 2%.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I told my dealer today when I dropped my V off...to take a look at my driveshaft response: "i dont think thats what it is...since we have never had any problems with them before" :bighead:

They service maybe 2 other V's.....how bullshit of a response is that!!!! :banghead:

Have alot of you had your driveshafts replaced bc they got ****ed up???

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Barak said:
Lastss,

I'm less than 3 miles from them. Do you know how long they would need the car for?
Well, they have to put the car up , take a length measurement, look at the connection points. The object is to go to a one peice shaft. This 2 peice thing is from the 60's I dont know what the Idea was. It certainly isnt that long. My boat 96 impala had a one peice. If they can come up with something you would probably get a good discount or a freebie and the rest of us would get a reasonable price on a light shaft. The big issue is clearance. The shaft on the V is very small in diameter.

Personally, I dont trust carbon fiber for impact loading.

Give it a shot, nothing lost. If possible, get a pic of the BMR connections and bring it with you.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
:yeah:

I todully agree... aluminium is the way to go... i dont know why GM went with 2-piece in the first place :confused:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Lastss,

Have you spoke with anyone at IE driveline about this?

Gags,

Maybe we can find some time in the next few weeks to make it down there. Let me know how your schedule looks.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Barak said:
Lastss,

Have you spoke with anyone at IE driveline about this?

Gags,

Maybe we can find some time in the next few weeks to make it down there. Let me know how your schedule looks.
I called them but basically they said they couldnt do anything w/o a shaft or the car so I went no further. I would make an appointment as se what you can do. This would be a sweet group buy. With proper attachment, would help reduce weight and any vibration.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
I will be willing to do it if barak backs out depending on two conditions one being that I need to know how long are they going to need the car for and if they're willing to hook me up with a free driveshaft. :)

-Gilbert

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just some thoughts...

I am sure that GM did not select a two-piece propshaft because they enjoy paying for all of the additional components required above and beyond a single piece. There are many critical engineering reasons behind deciding propshaft configurations: Joint angle, packaging, and CRITICAL SPEED.

The aftermarket CF prop that was discussed previously that desintigrated after 3 miles - was this due to a lack of strength (poor design) or due to the propshaft hitting its first harmonic at high speed (extremely poor and irresponsible design), or heat breaking down a low temp resin (pathetic design)?

This would be interesting, because there is not much room in the V tunnel for a big propshaft. The V prop has to be designed for 7000rpm+, which means crit speed is very important (prop rpm, not engine). To fit down the tunnel the prop will be skinny, which means bad crit speed capability, which means exploding props.

The desire to replace the prop is something I do not really understand, but I find the willingness of aftermarket people to supply potentially dangerous single-piece props frightening. Anyone who has had a prop come apart on them at high speed will know what I mean.

hereby ends my humble opinion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts