Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for several years now, my center carrier bearing on the driveshaft has been clicking away while coasting. I had been putting it off because I don't drive it much and it really wasn't bothering me. I initially went to a driveline shop nearby and he said if I could get the parts, he could rebuild it. In case any of you have looked at it, it isn't a regular U-joint at the carrier bearing, it is some kind of clutching mechanism. He said Porsche uses something similar.

Picture of our center carrier mechanism;

So I went on a chase to see if I could get the parts for the center. Unfortunately, even going in to our GM SPO, no individual serviceable parts are available. You have to essentially replace the shaft all as one unit. So that was my next course of action. The shaft is part number 20774957. Awesome... Until I find it is no longer available, the part has been discontinued.

So while I continue scouring the intertubez (Fleabay, car parts sites, etc) for a replacement 20774957, has anyone completely replaced it with a single piece shaft or other option? I'm ok with keeping the OEM "Companion Flange" setups at both ends.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
31 Posts
I am actually about to attempt to do the center support bearing in a couple days and will have to separate the shaft there from what I understand. I am kind of going to wing it and when it gets time, i'm going to pack the hell out of that with grease. I was also considering adding a zerk fitting into that if possible, but main worry is balance, so probably won't. There is a video on youtube for a cts-v and the shaft area in this picture looks the same. I also wonder if the sts-v shaft is roughly the same size as the cts-v one piece shafts available and could be modified. The stock exhaust routing would probably be a big limiting factor in using a one piece. The clicking at the differential flange driveshaft end, can be fixed from packing it with grease from what I understand. Maybe same can be done for the center to cure your issue. Ask Kerbid.com. They might be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction since they do specific center support service.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Please let me know how it works.

I had it up on the lift (when I took the pic), and figured I'd quickly knock it out one day after hours. Figured it's be a simple removal then separation of the two parts and simply R&R things. When I got under there and saw that I was like "WTF is this..."

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
31 Posts
Thank you. Please let me know how it works.

I had it up on the lift (when I took the pic), and figured I'd quickly knock it out one day after hours. Figured it's be a simple removal then separation of the two parts and simply R&R things. When I got under there and saw that I was like "WTF is this..."
I just changed my center support. It was relatively easy. I cut the old bearing off and used a hammer and pipe to seat the new one. Once you remove the drive shaft refer to the youtube vid I link. I used a cheap aftermarket center support that works for a bunch of Cadillacs instead of buying the Porsche bearing and modifying per the video. If it doesn't last long, I will do the porsche thing. Now I should have got a replacement o ring, because now a little grease is coming out of the seam where I put it back together. I will eventually try and get a seal and boot or at least o ring and redo it. Also the aftermarket center support sat a little too high and I had to put a roughtly 1/2" spacer between it and the mounting spots. So in hindsight the porsche bearing would have allowed me to reuse my old support mount and I would not have had to do that. Here is video link. It is for a cts-v, but same setup.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So did you use the Kerbid parts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts