Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Seville SLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed my drivers side veiw Mirror is discolored, it use to be real clear, looks brownish color. Does the whole mirror assy have to be replaced or can you replace just the glass part, Thanks for any help on this problem:hmm:

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,261 Posts
can you replace just the glass part
YES - just replace the glass

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
what year is it?

or better yet... what are the last 8 digits of the VIN?
i can look up the correct part with that info

you can definitely replace just the mirror glass but because it has the special light sensitive layer that auto dims it is very expensive
they can range in price from $140-$550 depending on year and model as well as other options (like memory) and which side (driver or passenger)
the driver's side is always more expensive

having said all that there's always the salvage yards

·
Registered
Seville SLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RippyPartsDept said:
what year is it?

or better yet... what are the last 8 digits of the VIN?
i can look up the correct part with that info

you can definitely replace just the mirror glass but because it has the special light sensitive layer that auto dims it is very expensive
they can range in price from $140-$550 depending on year and model as well as other options (like memory) and which side (driver or passenger)
the driver's side is always more expensive

having said all that there's always the salvage yards
2004 Seville Vin 4U108666

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,929 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
A lot of cars with those dimming outside mirrors end up doing that. I wouldn't spend much on used because they might not last much longer then what you are replacing. If you don't care about dimming a glass shop can just stick a normal mirror over it for cheap. It'll just work like any other car without dimming mirrors.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
$400 is often 1/4 or 1/5 of the car's value

and if the rest of the car is good it would make me wonder why they didn't fix the mirror for 'only $400'
might be more of a red flag in that situation than it would be if there were other problems with the car

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I don't think I know anyone who would pay $400 to fix a dimming mirror other then the type of people who mechanics love who like to spend money no questions asked.

That's along the lines of not getting a car just because it needs tires or needs a brake job. Yeah at least those are regular maintenance items but even then the $400 is probably still cheaper and the other alternative ways to fix it cost a fraction of that.

·
Registered
2000 STS
22 Posts
I found the whole mirror at Pull n Pay for less than 30 bucks, somewhere on here are instructions on how to replace just the glass. Two wires, turn the mirror one way and unsnap, then the other way and unsnap..pretty easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts