Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 Eldorado ESC Classic Edition
If I don't close the door by pushing on the window, the window always closes on top of the plastic clip that holds the window firmly against the weatherstrip. Other than remembering to always lower the window a bit before before leaving the car is there an easy fix or adjustment for this problem. I never had this problem with my '97 Eldorado.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
105 Posts
I own a 2000 Eldorado ESC Classic Edition
If I don't close the door by pushing on the window, the window always closes on top of the plastic clip that holds the window firmly against the weatherstrip. Other than remembering to always lower the window a bit before before leaving the car is there an easy fix or adjustment for this problem. I never had this problem with my '97 Eldorado.
Your window track is out of adjustment, You have to remove the door panel and fiddle with the track adjustment screws, bolts, whatever, to realign the tracking mechanism. It is a PITA to get it correct but with diligence it can be done. I'm surprised no one else on here knew how to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU !!! I was just about ready to give up on waiting for a reply. I have a weekend project now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
THANK YOU !!! I was just about ready to give up on waiting for a reply. I have a weekend project now.
If you have never removed one of the door panels, be careful. The door panel does not pull out from the bottom like on most cars. There are 4(?) "L" shaped hooks attached to the panel bottom and the panel has to be raised up rather than pulled out to get it off. Lifting it also releases it from the top where it hooks over the metal frame at the window guide.

Something to look for when you get it off: If the interference you are experiencing with the window hitting the upper window molding is at the front of the glass, you have to lower the front window channel guide a little bit. If it is hitting at the rear the same analogy applies to the rear channel guide.

However, if the glass is hitting all along the top, look at the bottom of the window framing mechanism where it bottoms out. If I remember correctly, when the window mechanism is fully in the down position it contacts a flat metal plate which is used as a limiting downward guide. On some models there is an in/out elongated slot with a bolt through it which allows in/out adjustment of the whole window frame. Sometimes it comes loose from all the road vibration and simple needs to be repositioned to allow the top of the window glass to move in toward the interior of the car or if necessary, outward, to resolve the problem.

It is difficult to explain what exactly has to be done to effect the desired result without actually being there. The only caution I can give you is to be PATIENT: Look for loose bolts and observe the operation of the window before tearing into it so you understand what is happening when the window goes up and down. Operate the window up and down several times until you see how it functions and then make small adjustments to view the result. Just unbolting and banging around in there will give you a heap of anguish in trying to get it right.

So, Good Luck with the adjustment. Remember, every car is different, sometimes within model years and if you have any mechanical experience you shouldn't have too much of a problem fixing it. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIXED !!! I just had to lower the window height slightly using the adjustment screws on top of the door. Thanks for the tips! Now explain why my mile range increases instead of going down on my trip indicator as I drive. Don't say it's the sending unit either....at this rate I just might get 800 miles per tank of gas! Besides who really enjoys dropping a tank to change a sending unit!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,991 Posts
FIXED !!! I just had to lower the window height slightly using the adjustment screws on top of the door. Thanks for the tips! Now explain why my mile range increases instead of going down on my trip indicator as I drive. Don't say it's the sending unit either....at this rate I just might get 800 miles per tank of gas! Besides who really enjoys dropping a tank to change a sending unit!
===========================
Now explain why my mile range increases instead of going down on my trip indicator as I drive.
depending on HOW MUCH the range increases - over what period of time -
the answer MIGHT be very simple - and completely normal -

AVERAGE MPG is based on the last 500 miles driven - unless it was reset -
the RANGE is based on the last 50 miles driven -

EXAMPLE:
if your "normal" driving is more city than highway - with lots of idling -
your AVERAGE MPG might be 15mpg or even less -
SO - the RANGE might reflect 150 miles if you had 10 gallons of gas in the tank -

then you hop on the highway - get up to 65mph - hit the cruise -
your CURRENT MPG might be up near 28 or higher -
the RANGE would slowly reflect the new - higher - current MPG -
maybe as high as 250 miles with 9 gallons of gas in the tank -

OR - you have a defective sending unit -

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope... it's the OR. I went from highway driving to stop and go city driving driving when I noticed this. It's a rainy day project. And I live in Wisconsin!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Curious how you determined it is the sending unit at fault.... If so, don't be afraid of dropping the tank to replace the unit as it is not really a big problem to so. Only took me 3 hours to do mine including jacking the car up and then back down on the wheels. Word to the wise: make sure you replace the fuel filter at the same time as is is a real pain with the tank in place. Try RockAuto for pricing, usually the lowest but stay away from the cheapest, Ebay included.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got this car a few weeks ago. Since then I've been living in this site. There is a ton of info and advice on this site. {Basscat, sub., and yourself seem to really know your stuff} Somewhere I read on here about some of the problems that a bad sending unit will cause. That... and sometimes my fuel gauge has a mind of it's own. The sending unit I'm assuming has to be causing both of the problems. I like fixing things but I don't always have all the answers. This site helps a lot. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I prefer a lot of knowledge, so I come here to get advice before tearing into something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts