Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 CTS4, 23k miles, with heated and cooled seats. Although I think the seats are very comfortable, I'm going out of my mind with the driver's seat. EVERY time I accelerate, stop, turn or hit the smallest of bumps, the back of the seat rocks and makes a terrible groaning noise. It sounds like the leather is rubbing against the back of the seat and it's very apparent that the seat back is loose. I had the same issue with a 2004 Corvette and the seat was replaced (after lots of arguing) when I found a TSB describing the issue.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB for seat issues on the 08 CTS? My car is going to the dealership for an oil change on Saturday and I'm also going to have them look at the seat. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I would love to know if there is a TSB for this issue. I had a bolt tightened in the back of the seat on the very first service visit. On my last service visit I mentioned the seat was starting to loosen up again and they supposedly ordered a new seat frame. Well, that was over a month ago and they never called me back. I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI RWD
40 Posts
I had a similar shifting or loose feel in the driver seat of my '08 on turns, acceleration and braking. After a month or two of being told "could not duplicate", they eventually replaced the frame and that did the trick. Part #25941135

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had a similar shifting or loose feel in the driver seat of my '08 on turns, acceleration and braking. After a month or two of being told "could not duplicate", they eventually replaced the frame and that did the trick. Part #25941135
Thanks, I'll call the dealer about the status of the part they ordered.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As usual, the Cadillac Forum comes through! :worship::worship: I'll take this part number with me when I visit the dealership on Saturday!!!

·
Registered
2008 CTS
8 Posts
I have an 08 CTS4, 23k miles, with heated and cooled seats. Although I think the seats are very comfortable, I'm going out of my mind with the driver's seat. EVERY time I accelerate, stop, turn or hit the smallest of bumps, the back of the seat rocks and makes a terrible groaning noise. It sounds like the leather is rubbing against the back of the seat and it's very apparent that the seat back is loose. I had the same issue with a 2004 Corvette and the seat was replaced (after lots of arguing) when I found a TSB describing the issue.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB for seat issues on the 08 CTS? My car is going to the dealership for an oil change on Saturday and I'm also going to have them look at the seat. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue.
The drivers seat in my '08 CTS makes a very aggravating creaking noise with the slightest movement. My dealership says the noise is coming from the plastic seat back. They have ordered new seat backs for me. As the height of the replacement seat backs has changed they have to replace both of them so one doesn't look different than the other. The parts have not come in yet so I don't know if this will solve the problem. I do know that they did remove something from my current seat back and the noise is gone so I am hopeful a new seatback is the answer.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The drivers seat in my '08 CTS makes a very aggravating creaking noise with the slightest movement. My dealership says the noise is coming from the plastic seat back. They have ordered new seat backs for me. As the height of the replacement seat backs has changed they have to replace both of them so one doesn't look different than the other. The parts have not come in yet so I don't know if this will solve the problem. I do know that they did remove something from my current seat back and the noise is gone so I am hopeful a new seatback is the answer.
This is a separate issue, but equally annoying. Evidently most leather seats in cars are only leather on the top, not on the sides. The vinyl on the sides of the seats rub against the hard plastic frame and will either be silent or very noisy depending on the temperature and humidity.

Recommendations to solve have varied...going from memory, but I believe some have used vinyl/leather cleaner or applied felt where these two surfaces meet.

I would really like an official resolution for this issue.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just returned from the dealership and after thoroughly examining the driver's seat, they concluded that the frame needs to be replaced. They said that they really don't want to have to rebuild the seat, so rather than order just the seat frame, they've ordered an entire seat!!! Should be about 3 weeks before it arrives!!! :highfive:

·
Registered
'08 CTS
189 Posts
This is a separate issue, but equally annoying. Evidently most leather seats in cars are only leather on the top, not on the sides. The vinyl on the sides of the seats rub against the hard plastic frame and will either be silent or very noisy depending on the temperature and humidity.

Recommendations to solve have varied...going from memory, but I believe some have used vinyl/leather cleaner or applied felt where these two surfaces meet.

I would really like an official resolution for this issue.

Same problem here. I'm about the go insane. I tried the vinyl/leather cleaner, but it only works for day or two. The only thing that works is stuff a rag between the vinyl/leather and the the plastic trim piece piece. I suppose a solution would be to add a felt strip along the edge of the trim piece.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just returned from the dealership and after thoroughly examining the driver's seat, they concluded that the frame needs to be replaced. They said that they really don't want to have to rebuild the seat, so rather than order just the seat frame, they've ordered an entire seat!!! Should be about 3 weeks before it arrives!!! :highfive:
So the story continues. The dealership called me last Friday and told me that the "parts are in". Said I needed to make an appointment to have them installed. I set Monday at 8am. Arrived at the dealership at 8am and was told that the repair would take "about 3 hours". Oh, and by the way, we decided to order just the seat frame. No problem I said...and they provided me with a rental. It's a crappy Chevy Impala, but at least it's free!

So I call yesterday afternoon and ask when my car will be done. The service guy says, "Well, this is a delicate repair, so we don't think we'll be done today. You can keep the rental". Oh well...

Fast forward to this morning...I get a call from the service guy and he says, "We ordered the wrong part. Your car is an 08 but it has the "upgraded" 09 seats in it. The 09 seats have a different frame than the 08. We found the part at another dealership and we "should" have you car done by this afternoon."

I'm not holding my breath!!! :rant2:

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
jw38,

Your dealer is correct, it's a "delicate repair." Don't want to heighten your anxiety, but be sure to thoroughly check for collateral damage after the repair is completed.

A cautionary tale. My CTS had a "shifty" driver's seat. The fix required removing the seat, replacing the floor-mounted "seat track adjuster assembly," and reinstalling the original seat. Weeks after the repair, I found some deep gouges in the driver's "hush panel" (a.k.a. lower plastic panel below steering wheel) and the interior rubber door trim/seal; and later, when cleaning my car, I noticed paint scratches in the driver's door jam, including some gouges down to bare metal. My dealer had to replace the hush panel, interior rubber door trim/seal, and repaint & clearcoat the door jam, requiring an additional 4 days in the shop.

Here's hoping that all goes well for you!

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jw38,

Your dealer is correct, it's a "delicate repair." Don't want to heighten your anxiety, but be sure to thoroughly check for collateral damage after the repair is completed.

A cautionary tale. My CTS had a "shifty" driver's seat. The fix required removing the seat, replacing the floor-mounted "seat track adjuster assembly," and reinstalling the original seat. Weeks after the repair, I found some deep gouges in the driver's "hush panel" (a.k.a. lower plastic panel below steering wheel) and the interior rubber door trim/seal; and later, when cleaning my car, I noticed paint scratches in the driver's door jam, including some gouges down to bare metal. My dealer had to replace the hush panel, interior rubber door trim/seal, and repaint & clearcoat the door jam, requiring an additional 4 days in the shop.

Here's hoping that all goes well for you!
Oh yeah...they already know how picky I am about my car...and I guarantee that I'll go over it with a fine toothed comb when it's done!

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
I just brought mine in because when I would takea hard corner without braking the seat would shift slightly. Enough for me to feel it move but not terribly loose. They said there is a bulletin #09-08-50-004 "install felt washer on seat". They had to order the part.

-Mark

·
Registered
2008 DI FE3
202 Posts
Just had mine repaired with a new seat track and the seat feels better than when it was new - no noise and no shifting. They also changed out the rear cover which appears to create less rubbing noise when I shift in the seat. I have to give a nod to Capitol Cadillac in Greenbelt, MD for great service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts