1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Eldorado ETC
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Eldorado ETC, 81K miles

Problem:
started at 60k, driver's seat only does not function at all (no noise or anything), passenger functions properly.

Facts
*Of course there is a circuit breaker under the hood for the power seats, we know that is good because the passenger seat functions. All fuses in the trunk were good, none were missing.

*Heated seat works on both driver and passenger seats.

*I verified the input power going to both seats in the same location, the driver's seat is getting +12v through the incoming line from under the carpet.

*Inspected for loose connectors (removed seat cover so i could take a close look) and found no sign of a possible problem with the wiring or connectors.

*The seat controls on the side of the seat are getting power as I tested each position of both the back, bottom, and lumbar buttons,.....none generate any MOVEMENT or SOUND! I even swapped the seat control switch from the passenger side to the drivers side, no luck there either!

Unknowns:
*I have a module under the seat, in the center of the springs for the butt cushion, GM Part# 16204900, says Front Seat Adjuster Module.

Could this be bad?

*Only other unknown is a taller than typical relay, I did not right down the part number!!!:( however I did open the relay dust cover and noticed it is more of a module than a relay. Once again no signs of problems, no burnt traces or noticeable flaws on the circuit board inside the "tall relay".

Help me fix the seat in my Eldorado! I even read in the manual that it could be equipped with a back massage!

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
It certainly sounds like you've narrowed the problem down to the controller module - perhaps you can swap the passenger side module into the driver side? As for massage you can check the RPO codes or just tap the top of the lumbar adjuster disc switch. If the lumbar starts driving up and down you have massage - it will be on both seats if you have it.

·
Registered
2001 Eldorado ETC
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The passenger seat does not have the large Front Seat Adjuster Module, GM Part# 16204900, like the driver's seat does. It does however have 2 different "relay modules" in the front of the seat, 1 is common between the driver's and passenger's side (driver's side only has 1 "relay module", but i have recently discovered that the common "relay modules" are for the heated seats.......so it seems that it must be the fault of the module, other wise i am stumped. I don't know what the module even does! seems like it would work for both seats tho, annoying!

The switch responds to all motions (measuring voltages), even if the switch was going bad, i would expect some of the buttons to cause motion, but none do, therefore i feel it is safe to eliminate the switch. I even tried the passenger switch on the driver's seat

No massage on the passenger seat =(

·
Registered
2001 Eldorado ETC
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem: GM Part# 16204900, Front Seat Adjuster Module (or the module responsible for the memory function for the driver's seat).

Burnt trace on the printed circuit board (PCB). This was more than likely due to me adjusting the seat too much within a short period of time. The problem occurred just before the car hit 60K so I hate to think the motors are worn and drawing more current than normal. Nor do I believe there was an obstruction under the seat which would cause a motor to have a higher than typical load. in any case the trace for the incoming power failed.

Solution:

Sorry no pictures, cut a thin strip of brass and soldered the broken trace back together. Patch work. Also I replaced the 30A circuit breaker with a 30A MAXI fuse I have (same value as OE CB). However I believe I will go back and replace the 30A fuse with a lower value, maybe a 15A or 20A fuse versus a CB, in hopes that the fuse will blow before it can heat up my patch work on the circuit board. I also chose a fuse versus the circuit breaker in case it just wants to get funky and short the supply power for some strange reason. I really don't like the design of the power seat module.

Results:
So far so good.

I would have wired the switch directly to the motors versus paying for a new memory seat module from GM, which is like $400+ from dealer, or like $250 from gmpartsdirect The drivers seat is wired directly to the memory seat module, the pass side switch drives the seat motors, assuming it does not have memory on that side, never checked.

·
Registered
2001 Eldo ETC, 1987 Allante, 2006 STS previous 66 Coupe, 85 Eldo Biaritz, 75 Eldorado
70 Posts
Nice fix - congrats, and thanks for the photo of the problem. I am glad to see that there are others out there who are not afraid to pull a module apart and look for a problem rather than just changing out the module.

Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts