Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Drivers Information Center (DIC) display went blank

25K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Joseph Upson 
#1 ·
2008 CTS Base - Drivers Information Center (DIC) went blank on me this weekend. The area is still back-lit but I cannot get any information to display. Is there a reset procedure for it? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you as always!

#2 ·
I pulled the "Dis;lay" fuse under the hood. The whole dash went dark (including the DIC display area) and gauges didn't function. Kept it out about 10 minutes. Put it back but same problem. DIC area lights up but nothing is displayed. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Just adding a bit more detail to the symptoms - DIC display is blank, however, seems as if the alerts it usually displays are still functional - for example low fuel and blinker left on chimes are still functioning. Does anyone know how the DIC works? Is the information for the display transmitted by the ECM or is there a separate unit driving the DIC information? I have reviewed some schematics on removing the instrument cluster from the dash and it appears that the DIC is a "dumb" display (just displays information gathered and processed elsewhere then transmitted via wire to the display). The display seems to be getting power because it is back-lit and goes dark when I pull the display fuse.

Next I will try pulling the ECM fuse in attempt to reset it.

#4 ·
OK still dealing with this - tried disconnecting battery for 20 mins in hope that something would reset and correct it but still have a blank Drivers Info Center. Anyone have any ideas about this? I am coming up empty on search. Next step is to take apart the dash and remove the instrument cluster. Is there a replacement part on it that would possibly fix this?

#6 ·
Thanks...there is no check engine light on....just seems to be a display failure at this point. Mechanically she is purring fine (KNOCK ON WOOD!).

My next step is to take apart the dash and remove the instrument cluster to see if I can see any issues in the display connection.

#7 ·
I FINALLY got around to this today....I obtained a 2008 instrument cluster on EBAY (from an auto shift) on the cheap with no guarantee of functionality. It should be noted that my 08 is a very rare manual model which has a little different cluster than the automatics. I was able to tear into the EBAY cluster and strip it down to the bare circuit board on the back and white 1st layer cover on the front...this exposed the LED screen which is what I suspected was bad on my cluster. I then disassembled my dash to the point I could remove my instrument cluster. Once the cluster was removed, i plugged in the EBAY cluster and prayed that the LED screen would function - WOOHOO - it lit up and displayed trunk open!! I scrolled through all the DIC items and all seemed to work (although very strange, the odometer reading was from the donor car, not mine!! Can't be that easy to change our odometers reading right?). I then performed the delicate operation of disassembling my cluster and switching the LED screens. Put mine all back together and VOILA!! IT WORKS!!! Once connected to my cluster it diplayed the correct odometer reading and all other functions displaying on cue!! SUCCESS! I took a few pics along the way that I will post in case someone else needs to do the operation or just replace the cluster altogether!

#14 ·
I have seemingly the same problem and was hoping the pictures would help me decide if it was something I wanted to tackle. Mine is a 2006 but I suspect similar. Thanks for the info. I did private message him so if this forum notifies him and he has the pics still maybe I'll have a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.