Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that the driver side electrochromic mirror is not dimming as it's supposed to (in response to a bright light aimed at the photo cell of the windshield mounted rearview mirror).

Unlike the windshield mounted rearview mirror, the driver door rearview mirror shows a yellow tint at night (I'm not sure if that's normal or an indicator that it's damaged).

Is there a way to test it? maybe it's an electical connection fault.

If it's inoperational how difficult to replace and how expensive is the replacement part?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
If it's turning yellow, it's on it's way out. The electrochromatic material can deteriorate and begin to turn yellow, affect it's ability to adjust to light. My drivers side mirror is almost purple now, and some fluid has actually leaked out of it, so there's a small gap at the top. It's only going to get worse over time, so my suggestion would be to replace it now and get it over with. If you want to before hand, you can remove the glass and check to see if the wires are still connected. This wouldn't affect the color of the glass itself though. You can get replacement Electrochromatic glass pieces seperately without buying a whole mirror too.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nitehawk1m said:
If there's something wrong, please tell me. My '95 Eldo has the same problem. I figured it was normal.

Ed
Test it [at night of course] by shining a light on the windshield rearview mirror on the photocell located on the bottom left part (facing you).

Both of your self-dimming mirrors should dim.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Yeah, the normal color for a new, or properly working piece of electrochromatic glass is a very light blue tint, just like the rear view inside. Usually barely noticable unless you look carefully. If the inside layer goes bad, the liquid starts to change colors over time. Like I said, mine had a small leak somewhere and has actually turned almost all purple (still has a few spots of yellow) but at the very top of the glass, is a long strip where the fluid has actually leaked out, and it's now plain glass.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Neither the inside or the outside mirrors dimmed on my car when I got it. I looked at all kinds of stuff and everything checked out OK but it wouldn't dim either mirror. I ended up taking the mirror off the windshield and cracking it open. (it wasn't easy) The board in there is pretty simple. There was one solder joint that was obviously cracked and not making contact. 5 minutes worth of solder work and it still works perfectly now 70k miles later. The moral of the story is, if your inside mirror isn't dimming either but the power is on and the mirrors are not discolored, it could be a simple electronic fix inside the windshield mirror housing. Broken solder joints and bad photocells would be my first suspects.

Also, when you test the mirror with a flashlight, you have to ensure the photocell on the FRONT side of the mirror is dark. Cover it with electrical tape temporarily, then shine the flashlight. If the front one is illuminated enough, it won't allow the mirror to dim.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You can easily test the Electrochromic mirror during the day, in fact it's easier. Put your hand up under the mirror and use one of your fingers to feel the back side of the mirror (towards the front of the car) in the vertical center on the left side you will find an opening, just cover that with your fingertip. During daylight hours the rear facing sensor will see bright light and think it's night time because the forward sensor is seeing darkness.
The mirror will continue to get darker and depending on how light it is outside it will get really dark.
Then just for fun to see how fast it can change back, put the car in Reverse. This overrides the ECMirror and makes it go back to normal.

If the two mirrors work and the other is yellow, I'd say you need a glass. It should be servicable, but you'll need the VIN to make sure you get the right part. It's been a while since I did one of those but I'd take it to a glass place and let them install it. Better to let them break it and buy you one than break it yourself and have to buy yourself one!

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac STS
85 Posts
i noticed my drivers side mear was also a yellow shade and it doesnt tint ither. i was thinking it was becus the orignal owner got like the darkest tint i think posable on the windows so that the light wasnt hiting the siencer. maby that isnt the problem. thanx

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
nitehawk1m said:
If there's something wrong, please tell me. My '95 Eldo has the same problem. I figured it was normal.
It's not a "bug," its a "feature."

This has been discussed to friggin' death! HELLO . . . . IT'S NORMAL!

It was yellow before you bought the car and it was yellow before the original owner planted his butt in the captain's seat. Worry when it stops being yellow. WHEW! Glad I got that outta my system. :)

Regards,
Warren :stirpot:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
To clarify, I didn't mean if it's yellow it is bad. I meant if it's yellow and it doesn't darken when it's supposed to it is probably bad.
I have seen working ones with color variations that could be considered normal. My post was based on the mirror not changing.
Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Mine still darkens, and it's got fluid missing out of the top, and is almost completely turned purple. I know that some still work perfectly even with a deep yellow tint, but there's no way my two-tone glass is normal. When I get around to it, I'm gonna get a new piece of glass and get it put in, I just need the time and money at this point.

·
Registered
None at the current time, but looking
30 Posts
My 99 STS had the same problem.
I bought a complete LH mirror off eBay for $65.00, (dealer was 380!). Just came tonight but the housing was broken in shipping. I pulled the glass out of both mirrors and popped the new one on the car and now it crystal clear and no gold tint that's hard to see out of. Plus it auto-dims again! :dance:

Whole process took less then 5 minutes in 15 degree weather and the only tool I used was a flashlight to line things up.
If you look at it now it looks like any other rear view mirror. Not yellow/gold or blue. When it dims it just gets darker without any color shift.

So... I'd suggest eBay if you want to swap it out on the cheap.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Hmm, my passenger side mirror assembly was obviously broken off at one point (held in with sheetrock screws "thanks" to a previous owner.) And my drivers side mirror is completely red except for a 1/4" or so strip at the top.
If I ever find a crimson pearl mirror assembly on eBay I call dibbs on it.

·
Registered
None at the current time, but looking
30 Posts
Not sure about your mirror but on the 99 STS I was able to remove just the glass, (3 wire plug in connections), and replace it. My car is Moonstone color and I bought a mirror that was black - anticipating that I would need to have it painted but it worked out better.

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
Sorry, couldn't help myself. Perhaps someday we'll have a definitive answer.

I *thought* this had been settled once before.

Regards,
Warrren

1 - 20 of 23 Posts