Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
My 08 STS started not unlocking with the pull of the driver door handle shortly after I bought it. After digging, I assumed that the microswitch was the issue. I got a good deal on a new OEM door handle assembly for inside the door. Installed it and same issue. This time I tried holding the fob next to the door handle and low and behold, it unlocked with a pull of the handle. The only time this works is if the fob is almost touching the handle. I assume this means that the antenna is bad. Anyone ever installed a different antenna in the door to make this feature work? Can you even buy exterior door handles only and if so, can you get them in your car's color or do you have to get them painted.

Thanks for the guidance folks.
Carl

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
Door handles are available as a separate part. They come paint to match. The only place you may find one in your colour is an auto wrecker, possibly eBay. For your model year there is also a plastic chrome insert that is a separate piece. You will not likely be able to get the old one off to reuse because they both clip on and are also held by a strip of two-sided tape. I would be quite surprised if you can salvage the old one without breaking it.

·
Registered
2008 STS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wondering what type of antenna is in the handle. Thinking that I can just hook up an antenna of the same type and leave it inside the door to get this feature to work.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
No, this will not work. If you consider that RF signals are shielded by metal, the antenna is in the handle because the door skin will block any signal to and from the antenna. If this was a Saturn with plastic outer door panels your idea would work fine. That being said, this probably wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
The metal in the door would likely block or severely reduce the effectiveness of the antenna which is why it was probably part of the door handle assembly instead.

·
Registered
2008 STS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent point about the metal in the door. Guess I'll start the search for a replacement handle. Thanks for the replies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts