Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a 2013 Platinum this weekend but left it due to it not having the Driver Assistance Package. How many people that have this package actually use it? Is it worth looking for a car with it or have you found yourself turning it off more than its on? Not having it before I am kinda lost as to whether or not it is really a useful option or not. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 XTS-4 Premium
185 Posts
jperry,
I think the only main things missing are active cruise control and active braking, which several people have not been happy with. They are missing (on my Premium model) but everything else is included, as I imagine will be on the model you are looking at. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for these "features", and certainly am very happy without them!

·
Registered
2013 XTS Premium in Silver Coast Metallic
674 Posts
I have the Driver Assist package on mine and have no idea how the active braking would work but I guess it would if needed and I do use the active cruise control occasionally and it works fine. I wanted my car loaded with everything including the side and rear window shades, etc. even if some of the features are only used from time to time.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the active cruise and adaptive cruise two different things? The model I was looking at had the Adaptive cruise but not Driver Assist. Thanks for the responses as I am trying to learn what all these features are

----------

Sonny3621 I am thinking along the same way as you, I just figure for as much as these cars costs why wouldn't I get every option, especially in the used market where the options are generally very cheap between cars.

·
Registered
2014 XTS-4 Vsport Premium
74 Posts
Adaptive cruise control is awesome. I love it. The lane assist becomes annoying and gets turned off often. Great if you like texting and driving. LOL :) if you have both then you are texting manic because the car going down the hiway drives itself. NO I don't text while driving ever so let me make the clear.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Active cruise and adaptive cruise are the same thing. See if you can find a Certified Pre-Owned that's loaded. That's what I did and saved a ton and got all the toys.

----------

The "Driver Awareness Package" consists of Lane Departure Warning, Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Forward Collision Alert. IMO this is a must have package.

The "Driver Assist Package" consists of the Driver Awareness Package along wth Adaptive Cruise Control, Front Automatic Brake, Rear Automatic Brake and Automatic Collision Preparation.

Both packages include the vibrating safety alert seat. I would look for one with both packages.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a obvious sign that I can look for to tell whether or not these packages are installed? Like maybe a specific button somewhere or something that distinguishes one car has them and one doesn't?

·
Registered
674 Posts
As far as the Driver Awareness Package is concerned if you look on the side mirror you will see the outline of the icon used for that option. I'm not sure what would be the obvious giveaway for the Assist Package aside from possibly the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel which have adjustments for following distance, etc. which may not be there on a non-equipped car. If you are looking at cars on a dealer's lot they can run the VIN and obtain the build sheet easy enough.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,650 Posts
I'm in the market to trade my XLR in to defray the cost of a 2013 Premium or Platinum, and it seems some (but not all) of the Premiums have the Driver Assistance pkg. I've had Adaptive Cruise for years with the XLR and like it, but tend to use it more for long trips than short drives. I can live without it, but if you're going to be a bear, you may as well be a grizzly; I want all the options, so a Platinum is my first choice. Used prices are favorable for buyers as the XTS has taken a big depreciation hit and the average seems to be about $35k for 35k-40k miles. I've been tracking all the available inventory in the NE for the last few months, and prices are still dropping and not many cars are selling. I'll pull the trigger on the last day of July and if I don't get the deal I want, I'll wait until the last day of August. The search is as much fun as the conquest.

CC

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2014 platinum with all of this stuff. I commute about 70 miles a day and absolutely love most of the features.

The "Driver Awareness Package" consists of Lane Departure Warning - much better that annoying beeps and reminds you when you are leaving a lane when you are distracted even for a few seconds.

Side Blind Zone Alert - this is a given and on most cars today, great safety feature as you have another aid telling you when you have something in your path great when switching lanes quickly to avoid something.

Rear Cross Traffic Alert - my wife's minivan has this too, we love this in parking lots when backing up between two cars so you can't see what's coming. It's a second pair of eyes and works 100% of the time even it its people approaching.

Forward and rear Collision alert and braking.- the alerting by itself is very helpful grabbing your attention and I have seen my car stop both forward and reverse. Very strange feeling but nice to have - again another set of eyes. This has saved me a few times from rear ending another car and backing into a bush. Not that I was going to hit the bush but the car thought so and nailed the brakes.

Adaptive cruise control- what can I say, this is my favorite. It's not perfect but it's really refined in the proper parameters. There are no harsh accelerations or breaking- it's just smooth.

Merging traffic and coming up fast on stopped traffic it fails to slow down fast enough. But in normal traffic it's an excellent tool and for some reason makes driving so much less stressful and tiresome especially in traffic.

IMO this is a must have package.

I traded my 2014 Acura RLX in for my XTS and I have to tell you, I was afraid for my life when I used the adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist in that car. GM got it right here and their system is far superior, IMO.

·
Read Only
2014 XTS V Platinum
42 Posts
Driver Assistance package can be hard to find --- and I am not sure how you can tell if it exists by sitting in the driver's seat.

It is a very nice package and not annoying if you are not a hot rodder. You can experiment with it by activating your cruise control then drive into a fixed object and see if the car starts to brake for you......if the car does not brake before you hit the brake pedal then keep looking......

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not to beat an old dog to death but I am still confused. I found online the 2013, 2014, and 2015 XTS sales brochure. In the back of the book it shows the standard options for each package. In all three model years the Platinum model shows the Driver Awareness Package and the Driver Assist Package as being standard option.

Is there any chance you guys are talking about a Premium level and the Platinum level automatically has these installed?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The Driver Awareness package is standard on both the Premium and Platinum. The Driver Assist package is optional on the Premium and standard on the Platinum. My Premium has the optional Driver Assist package.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So guess I had a sales manager that didn't know his product then, which started all my confusion. I was looking at a 2013 platinum but the sales manager assured me that it didn't have the Driver assist package so I left it with him. Obviously I need to find a more knowledgeable dealership, and look for another car. thanks again

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sales people in general don't know their own product. You need to do your own homework.

----------

Just tell the sales manager to run the VIN and print out the build sheet. That will have on it all you need to know.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually I had him do that but none of the RPO codes plainly said Driver Assist Package. Any idea which RPO code it is? I saw one for Driver Awareness package and one for Forward Collision Alert

·
Registered
'03 & '06 CTS's (traded), '14 XTS Lux (traded), '16 CTS4 Premium 2.0T (now)
461 Posts
I was reading the manual and trying to figure out if my car had the adaptive cruise or not. I decided it doesn't based on a button icon it should have if adapt cruise was present. Since adaptive cruise is "part" of Driver Assist, I determined I only have Driver Awareness. And, that's all it says I have on the window sticker. Don't know if this helps this discussion or not...but it would be one place to look while trying to make the determination.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So on your car you don't have the top right button? OR do you have a button with a different icon on it? The car I looked at had the button for adaptive cruise but I was lead to believe that could be on the car without the driver assist package.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts