Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The dealer cut a new key for me today (driver 2) and also gave me a new fob/remote since the previous owner never turned in an extra set of keys. The problem I'm having is when ever I exit the car the seat settings etc go BACK to the driver 1 position, which is my wife's. Is this normal? Nothing like being crunched up to the steering wheel everytime I exit. :bigroll:

Thanks for any info

Also I have some black spots on the white roof that won't come off no matter what I try. Any tips appreciated

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Which model year is your car? STS? SLS? It's not listed in your profile.

It looks like the exit position for your "Driver 2" needs to be programmed. Refer to your owners manual. It contains detailed information on how to do this. It's simple. Go and grab your owners manual and read it.

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
TonyNy,

Are you sure it's going back to driver2...or do you have it set to "exit mode" that mode is to help the "old folks" exit. I hate that mode too....chushes you into the wheel.

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which model year is your car? STS? SLS? It's not listed in your profile.

It looks like the exit position for your "Driver 2" needs to be programmed. Refer to your owners manual. It contains detailed information on how to do this. It's simple. Go and grab your owners manual and read it.

2001 STS -- I have the exit position OFF so that's not it. Oh and I've read the manual more than a few times...

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TonyNy,

Are you sure it's going back to driver2...or do you have it set to "exit mode" that mode is to help the "old folks" exit. I hate that mode too....chushes you into the wheel.
Yes I NEVER use the exit mode in any car. Hate it like you do. The problem is when I go to exit the car the setting reverts back to Driver 1 all the time with the seat moving up to my wife's position (driver 1):confused:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It's under "Vehicle Personalization" in the owners manual. On my car, I programmed the seat to go all the way back and the steering wheel to retract fully and swing all the way up.

I just thought of something.....when you're getting out, are you accidentally hitting the "1" button on the door? I've done that a few times.

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I set the driver 2 settings for MY use -- but the damn car reverts back to driver 1 when I shut it off. Gonna try again and see what happens. I'm just trying to avoid another trip to the dealer as I've spent half the day there today.

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok just went over the settings again. When I use the driver 1 key all works as its supposed to. Everything STAYS on driver 1 and nothing moves when I exit the car. When using the driver 2 fob to unlock the car the seats move to my position BUT when I put the key in and start the car the seat move to the driver 1 position! I have auto exit OFF on both settings so its not that. I also noticed that when I start the car with the driver 2 key the display firts shows driver 2 and displays driver 1 right after along with playing my wife's radio station. And when I exit the car everything goes back to the driver 1 setting. Guess I need to go back to the dealer grrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You need to bring the car into the dealer. They'll use the tech2 tool to program the car to recognize the new key so that it acts as the "Driver 2" key. Right now, it doesn' t know what the heck key it is and so it acts as if it's the "Driver 1" key.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2002 Seville STS
122 Posts
I really don't think the keys themselves influence the driver 1 vs drivers 2 setting, just the fobs. The keys just program by installing them in ignition after removing an activated key. The fobs have to be programed with the tech 2. They also both have to be programed at the same time, they did do that, right? I would go thru and completely set up all the options for both drivers. when you enter the programing mode it will say which driver, do it fo both. I would turn off the function for returning to last driver, that may conflict with the numbered fob. After all is set up and both you and your wife's seat settings are programed (and exit settings) see if everything does what it supposed to when you push the door buttons for D1, D2 and exit. If all that works but the car still doesn't go to your settings when you use your fob and key, I don't know what could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Each key has a transponder built into the 'head' of the key. So, both the key and fob are unique. When you slide the key into the ignition, the computer reads which key it is. This indeed affects the Drivers 1 vs 2 settings. Each key's transponder is unique.

Thus, the fob and key systems are completely separate.

In the FSM, it says, "The key transponder in the master and valet key must be programmed to the vehicle".

In another section, it implies that you don't need to go to the dealer to add keys. You can add keys yourself as long as you have the other key (that's already 'learned' by the computer). However, it won't erase the old key (that is lost) that was "Driver 2". In other words, the procedure they outline will not allow your new key to be "Driver 2". For that, you still must go to the dealer to replace the old "Driver 2" key with the new one you just bought.

You can add up to 10 additional master keys or valet keys. Again, you cannot erase keys that are already 'learned'.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2002 Seville STS
122 Posts
I just did a little test to see what effect the keys themselves had and with my 02 seville sts, there is none. If the D1 fob opens the door it goes and stays on driver one settings no matter what key I use. Same with D2, the key makes no difference, stays on my wifes D2 settings even if I use my key. I have the 2 original keys and 1 self programed replacement. I don't have the valet key.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Interesting. I just did a test in my 03 and drfong is right. The fob activates the personalization settings and the keys do not.

It looks like the keys are learned only for the security system. If you use a key that has not been learned by the system the car will not start.

However, you still need to take the car to the dealer to have the fobs learned by the computer. I had to do that when they replaced a module. They had to use a tech2 tool and I had to give them both my keys and fobs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts