Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the driveshaft to replace hanger bearing and couplers. I noticed the rust color before, but assumed it was just surface rust. Upon removal and inspection I saw it had apparent rust scaling and pitting. Would hate to see the condition of one from the rust belt. Anyway, it doesn't appear to be structurally compromised yet, so I took a wire brush and ground the rust away and put a few coats of primer/flat black paint on it. I don't recall ever having this problem with a drive shaft before, and being close to 50, I have owned many cars. Would it have killed Cadillac to put a coat of paint on???

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,262 Posts
It would have cost an extra buck, so they didn't do it.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,888 Posts
Would it have killed Cadillac to put a coat of paint on???
Engineering determined the driveshaft would fail due to poor overall design before corrosion could take effect. ?

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,638 Posts
Man, You guys are rough...

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,262 Posts
I have no qualms calling GM out. They just don't understand. Cadillac won't be around in 30 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engineering determined the driveshaft would fail due to poor overall design before corrosion could take effect. ?
There is probably more truth in that statement than you realize..:unsure:

Just about every steel driveshaft I've ever seen looks like that. On winter driven cars. No big deal.
Yeah, Im sure it was probably ok, just never saw one that bad before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts