Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
Does anyone know where I can buy the carrier bearing? I can't find it on rockauto or gmpartsdirect. I guess I could always call the dealership but if anyone knows post a link. Maybe im just blind and passed over it.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Does anyone know where I can buy the carrier bearing? I can't find it on rockauto or gmpartsdirect. I guess I could always call the dealership but if anyone knows post a link. Maybe im just blind and passed over it.
Sorry not really on subject but, I know you had a timing chain rattle a while ago did you resolve the issue? and if so how? Thanks

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 3.6 DI, Crystal Red w/ Cashmere Interior
67 Posts
Quaver is the man!!! My carrier support bearing just went out. I talked with two different Cadillac dealers, both told me the driveshaft would have to be replaced because no parts were available through GM. Quaver knew about the parts in 2013. How is it the dealers don't know about these bearings and hubs also know as guibo or flex disk. I've been combing web through searches for a week now and just happened on this thread by accident. I got the Center support bearing on Amazon for 69.49 and its the exact replacement only with the more durable red bearing. The hub I will get at GMPARTSDIRECT.COM for 73.17 plus a likely 40.00 shipping. They're 123.41 at the dealer. Way better than paying 580.00 for a driveshaft I didn't need. Thanks again Quaver!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Note*** To all you do NOT need to remove exhaust you CAN pull only rear part of shaft and do it alone as 1 part then reinstall

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 6-spd
1 Posts
Just had to replace the carrier bearing on my 2005 CTS 3.6L with the 6-speed standard transmission.

I called a dealer who had the part, just telling them what part number I needed. Realizing it was opposite the direction I needed to go I called a second dealer who asked for the VIN. Looking up by VIN, he said the carrier bearing kit wouldn't work on my car as there are 3 different drive shafts used on the CTS but the kit only repairs two of them. Mine, of course, was not one on the list and a new drive shaft would run $1000 thank-you-very-much.

A bit worried as to whether this was going to work, I went ahead and got the part at the other dealer as planned and took it to my mechanic. We compared the parts and they looked exactly the same. He reassembled the shaft and everything went back together just like it should.

Thanks for the write-up and notes that this repair was possible, saved me a bunch of money.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
110 Posts
It is possible to get the u-joint replaced by a good drive line shop. I had mine replaced about a year ago. I needed a new carrier bearing, and it turned out that the u-joint was bad. They replaced the joint, carrier bearing and mount, and balanced the shaft for about $220? I had already replace my flex discs with the original German made discs, so I did not have to replace them. I had prior issues with the Dorman discs, but it may have been due to the u-joint/carrier bearing issue. The German made discs seemed like they had better reinforcement around the bolt holes than the Dorman units, but they are about 100 instead of the 65 for the Dorman units. I believe the German units are what GM is selling now.
You will also want to check the pilot bushings on each end of the shaft. They also probably contributed to the short life of the Dorman discs as well.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD - (Past) 2006 Cadillac CTS, 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood FWD
33 Posts
Thank you so much! When a simple differential seal turned into a carrier bearing and drive shaft coupler replacement, I got scared. I never have worked on driveshafts.. I got the shaft out and was worried I couldn't do it, almost gave into towing it to a shop. I have new found confidence.

My caddy will be on the road again soon. :)

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac SRX V6
47 Posts
Hi.
I've an 2005 Cadillac SRX AWD and I search the part number for the drive shaft carrier bearing.
But it's not easy. Impossible to find on websites...
Can you help me ? Maybe it's the same for CTS, STS, SRX ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed new carrier barring I didn't mark the driveshaft where the 2 come apart I put everything back together and now its vibrating around 30mph what should I do any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
Assuming the vibration is coming from the union between the shaft and differential, you could disconnect it and rotate the unit one bolt CW or CCW (and take notes on which way you moved, marking the new config with a paint pen). Then retest. If the vibration is gone you are finished. If not, repeat (and mark the new location each time) until it goes away. The repeated markings will tell you which orientations you already tested, in case something disrupts you and you forget (been there!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great writeup! Replace that Center support bearing, both Driveshaft couplers, Rear differential front bushing and top off the Transmission fluid. Then your clunk will be gone!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts