Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I contacted Cadillac Motorsports about a big brake kit for the V. They want $2600 dollars for rotors, stainless lines and pads, WTF. What have you guys done? All I want is some decent looking drilled rotors with some hats that wont rust. Thats all. I did some searching but I was just wondering what you guys thought.

·
Registered
'06 CTSV
451 Posts
If you are looking to improve the already great brakes on your V, $2600 is a reasonable price for factory cross drilled rotors, pads and SS lines.

If your desire is to sport cross drilled rotors for looks alone I would hold off until Pep Boys offers an aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I guess you thought I asked for sarcasim. Perfromance Friction racing calipers are usually less than $400 a piece and I doubt these are of that quality. I think your Pep Boys comment was a little rude. The main reason I want new rotors is GM's oversight to not coat the hats and I cant stand to have a spotless car with rusty F*ing brakes. Thanks for that link.

·
Registered
'06 CTSV
451 Posts
Kyle15, I certainly did not intend to be rude. I guess I do not understand your point.
If you are looking to stop your cast iron brake rotors from rusting replacing them with cross drilled cast iron rotors isn’t going to help. Carbon fiber yes, however if anyone makes carbon fiber rotors for a V they will cost a whole lot more then $2600.00.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wholesale Direct Parts was not able to fill my order for drilled rotors in March and were still unable to do so just two weeks ago when they finally refunded my money.
In my opinion, for normal street driving drilled rotors are not exotic or highly technical. Any good machine shop can drill rotors for a reasonable price. I will have my rotors drilled by www.tpis.com in the next few months. I don't have a written quote from TPIS, but when we discussed it the price was less than $50 each.
Drilled rotors produce some additional nose that probably will not be noticed. I don't see drilled rotors as adding much if anything to braking performance. It is basically a cosmetic addition.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V RedLine
317 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the posts, I am probably going to order OEM rotors and just paint the hats. The rotors from CMS aren't cast iron rotors, they are forged steel like many performance rotors and the hats are aluminum and then anodized so thats how you get rust free without having carbon rotors, sir.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Kyle15 said:
Thanks for the posts, I am probably going to order OEM rotors and just paint the hats. The rotors from CMS aren't cast iron rotors, they are forged steel like many performance rotors and the hats are aluminum and then anodized so thats how you get rust free without having carbon rotors, sir.
Kyle15,

You may be interested in these (or not):

http://member.newsguy.com/~nutech/frames.html

·
Registered
CTS-V 2010
219 Posts
After checking out the prices at Wholesale direct I decided to contact Bendix to find out how the guy could sell drilled rotors for that price.

Ready for this. Do not buy from this guy. The rotors are not Bendix as he says. He does purchase some Bendix "world Wide" brakes and shuffles them into stock, but most are imported no name.

Bendix found out about the guy because of high warranty clames from Vette owners. Never the less Bendix is sueing the company. He is not affiliated with Bendix in any way.

The safty of the brakes is of concern also. As Jay explained to me you can't just drill and slot a rotor. Drilled rotors may have different castings to strenghten them.

Bendix makes a premium rotor forged in the US, But is not avalible as yet in drilled, slotted form. He is going to let me know on Monday when they will be avalible. I will keep everyone posted. I think that is the way I will chose to go if the seem reasonable. Now you now the rest of the story and prehaps why they are not avalible anymore.

Jimbo1320

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
Wow... I never expected that Jimbo. Thanks for the alert and please let us know what you find out from Bendix.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
jimbo1320 said:
After checking out the prices at Wholesale direct I decided to contact Bendix to find out how the guy could sell drilled rotors for that price.

Ready for this. Do not buy from this guy. The rotors are not Bendix as he says. He does purchase some Bendix "world Wide" brakes and shuffles them into stock, but most are imported no name.

Bendix found out about the guy because of high warranty clames from Vette owners. Never the less Bendix is sueing the company. He is not affiliated with Bendix in any way.

The safty of the brakes is of concern also. As Jay explained to me you can't just drill and slot a rotor. Drilled rotors may have different castings to strenghten them.

Bendix makes a premium rotor forged in the US, But is not avalible as yet in drilled, slotted form. He is going to let me know on Monday when they will be avalible. I will keep everyone posted. I think that is the way I will chose to go if the seem reasonable. Now you now the rest of the story and prehaps why they are not avalible anymore.

Jimbo1320
Thanks

I had looked up rotors for my daughter's car on their website and thought I would call these guys. I think I'll skip them and just buy local.

BTW - regarding the comment about PEP Boys, they are national distributors for Hawk Performance (check the Hawk site if you doubt) and I just ordered HPS front and rear for a 9-3 Saab. Their price was a little more than BuyBrakes.com but they will be here in 3 days.

T

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've had a couple of friends buy from them and they've had good luck, but I guess they got the Bendix mixed among the others. I'll tell them what I've read here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
BowenCT said:
I think Homer bought a set from that guy. He promised a report, but come to think of it, I haven't heard a peep out of him in a long time......???
BowenCT, that's who I was thinking of...

On a side note, I posted threads on corvetteforum.com and ls1tech.com to see what they have to say. On both sites WDP Inc. posted rather large group buys... I'm not sure if this is permitted or not but I've included the links to the threads I started below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1428594
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531594

1 - 16 of 16 Posts