Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I found this ride, it was buried under a pile of leaves. Every nook and cranny was just stuffed. Moss was growing on the passenger’s side paint and glass. The inside was flawless except, the previous owner liked his cigars and the interior reeked. And musty! Whew!
Well the price was right and everything was there. After digging the car out I jumped started it and it fired right off. I Pumped up the new looking tires rolled down the windows and drove it home via my local spray n wash. After several hours cleaning inside and out the results revealed its mint condition.
The list of options! Man this car is loaded! Astro roof, firemist lacquer paint, Digital gauges, air suspension, Tilt & telescoping wheel, cruse control, Rear defogger, heated rear view mirrors, Landau padded roof, opera lights, interior rear reading lights and a killer Bose Dolby audio system.
Manically I’ve had to make some repairs. Of course a basic tune up was required as well as changing all the fluids. Major work included replacing the half axles, brake pads on all fours, battery, muffler, one rear air shock, the charcoal canister and the headliner. Minor work involved troubleshooting dash electrical. Dirty contacts in almost all cases, tobacco residue was thick on the backside of things. Also my auto dimmer relay burned out. Dig this! I haven’t had to replace any light bulbs yet and I bought the car over two years ago.
:cloud9:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damit!!!! My water pump started leaking. I just got it all ready for winter sleep. Looks like I will be under the hood this winter.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Very nice.. I had one just like this - and others very similar. One of my all-time favorite Cadillacs...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the complement.
I came across an interesting option the other day at my local u-pull. Off of the trunk lid of an 83 coupe Deville I snagged fake tire cover w matching spoke hubcap. Its made out of fiber glass and typically painted to match cars exterior color. Its not the bumper mounted continental type. I've only seen one 80's Eldo sporting this option mounted on its trunk lid. Any one know anything about this option?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the water pump replaced, just in time for the summer driving season. :thumbsup:
While underneath I noticed a lot of transmission fluid seeping onto the shop floor.:tisk: Closer inspection reviled some loose transmission pan bolts, no problem, tighten’em up, good to go…not quite! I also discovered transmission fluid seeping at the diff. Inspection cover gasket. Some time ago someone globed orange silicone on it to seal it up.:bigroll: OK no problem buy a new gasket, cant be over 5 bucks right….wrong! Can’t locate a replacement gasket anywhere!!! :eek:WTF? It’s a inspection cover gasket that was used from 1978 thru 1985 Cadillac FWD's and there are none to be found? :rant2:I’m not a big fan of using silicone in lew of gaskets.:confused: Any one know of a source?

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Finally got the water pump replaced, just in time for the summer driving season. :thumbsup:
While underneath I noticed a lot of transmission fluid seeping onto the shop floor.:tisk: Closer inspection reviled some loose transmission pan bolts, no problem, tighten’em up, good to go…not quite! I also discovered transmission fluid seeping at the diff. Inspection cover gasket. Some time ago someone globed orange silicone on it to seal it up.:bigroll: OK no problem buy a new gasket, cant be over 5 bucks right….wrong! Can’t locate a replacement gasket anywhere!!! :eek:WTF? It’s a inspection cover gasket that was used from 1978 thru 1985 Cadillac FWD's and there are none to be found? :rant2:I’m not a big fan of using silicone in lew of gaskets.:confused: Any one know of a source?[/Q

Try rockauto.com for a gasket.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Great save, 83 Cadman, looks like your intuition and sweat equity paid off. the early eighties Eldorados are one of Cadillacs best Post War designs IMO. Sounds like there is some remedial maintenance to take care of, but otherwise you save a great car from terminal neglect!

D

·
0 Posts
I had the same car, in the same color back in '88 except mine was an '81 model and it had the stainless roof. A friend of mine owned a garage and the car was dropped off because the motor blew up. It had the 4 6 8 motor. We removed it and swapped in a 425 from a rwd Deville that was wrecked in the back. I enjoyed it for a few days but I had a major catastrophe with it. Driving it on the highway in NY all of a sudden it started making bad noises and the engine or oil light came on. I pulled over and found that the oil filter was actually touching the frame (again, motor came out of a rwd Deville). Anyway the filter broke, engine ran out of oil, engine blew up. Sucked. It was a sweet driving car and it was such a stupid thing not notice beforehand. :crybaby:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool swap Destroyer.
Did you figure out an alterative to the filter/frame interference?
I’ve often wondered if someone could put a Chevy small block into one of these cars.
I mean, if a diesel option was available, utilizing the Olds diesel, which is based on the GM 350 small block.
My question would be;
Is the transmission used in the Eldo the same regardless of engine option, The 4100 vs the Old’s diesel?
If so, shouldn’t the 350 bolt right up?
Sure there would have to some mod’s, like mounts, intake and exhaust, as well as sensors ect. But is it doable?
Has any one tried this swap?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts