Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who installed double din units in your cars and had a gap around some parts of the head unit:banghead:. What did you use to fill those gaps. I have a gap on the top and 2 sides and I'm curious as far a what you guys used or techniques you used to fill them. As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.:cool:

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
For those of you who installed double din units in your cars and had a gap around some parts of the head unit:banghead:. What did you use to fill those gaps. I have a gap on the top and 2 sides and I'm curious as far a what you guys used or techniques you used to fill them. As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.:cool:

havn't done this install but the standard approach with this type of custom work is to use styrofoam to fill in the gaps then use a dremel to shave and form as needed to create a suitable mold. Once this is done use a fiberglass kit to create a bold. Then sand to the smoothness desired then paint as needed.

·
Registered
04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"
374 Posts
A little late now I guess, but when I did this, I cut the hole slightly smaller than needed. Then dry fit the unit in. It of course did not fit, so I filed down little by little, until the head unit just fit perfectly in with no gap at all.
I suppose you could go to home depot and find some kind of moldable plastic (bondo type material) and do some custom shaping to the radio bezel. It will take some time and a lot of sanding, but if you take your time it should turn out pretty good.

·
Registered
'03 CTS..white diamond
25 Posts
^^ That's what I did, I think it was black plastic gutter guards or something which I trimmed to match the curved front and slid it under the head and ...a drop or two of crazyglue covered it. Doesn't look bad either.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
havn't done this install but the standard approach with this type of custom work is to use styrofoam to fill in the gaps then use a dremel to shave and form as needed to create a suitable mold. Once this is done use a fiberglass kit to create a bold. Then sand to the smoothness desired then paint as needed
Ok so when you say fiberglass kit, are we talking about like a bathtub repair kit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts