Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods/Admins please make this a sticky.

I received a phone call from Steve McHenry with the Department of Transportation in Washington D.C.

He is currently investigating problems with the Cadillac CTS and CTS-V rear differential. The NHTSA has turned over all of the complaints to DOT and after seeing so many reports, DOT is launching a full investigation.

He contacted me because I had reported my problem to the NHTSA and he got my contact information from there. I asked if he had tried any of the forums and listed several. He said that while NHTSA is the main source of contacts, he has looked at different forums. However, he said that it was difficult to get contact information from a message board. Mr. McHenry requested that I put his contact info up on the boards for us to give him our accounts of problems we've had.

What Mr. McHenry is asking is that anyone who has experienced catastrophic failure with their differential in the CTS or CTS-V to please contact him at either

[email protected] or (202) 366-4883

Email is the preferred method of contact as it keeps a written record of your account.

Unfortunately, he cannot do anything about leaking or whining differentials. He only wants reports of complete failure. If your car has had differential failure while you were driving, he's looking for your info.

Please send any pictures and paperwork that you have and give your account of exactly what happened when you had the failure.

I think it's great that they're finally taking the issue seriously enough to look into this matter. Hopefully, we're about to get some serious support for our cars.

Thank you, Mr. McHenry!

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Sorta old news - I also reported it to NHTSA a bit over two years ago when my second of five differentials totally failed and seized at about 50mph.

Was contacted a couple months ago & provided the details of the failure at that time. I posted the particulars on the forum back then as well - thought it had been made a sticky earlier?

Yeah, it'll take some time - the cars involved will probably have been recycled a time or two by the time anything comes of it. :mad:

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Coupe
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorta old news - I also reported it to NHTSA a bit over two years ago when my second of five differentials totally failed and seized at about 50mph.

Was contacted a couple months ago & provided the details of the failure at that time. I posted the particulars on the forum back then as well - thought it had been made a sticky earlier?

Yeah, it'll take some time - the cars involved will probably have been recycled a time or two by the time anything comes of it. :mad:
right. That was nhtsa. Theyve now handed it over to dot. Dot has more power and shows that the nhrsa reports did do some good. The wheels of progress may be slow, but at least they're turning

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
right. That was nhtsa. Theyve now handed it over to dot. Dot has more power and shows that the nhrsa reports did do some good. The wheels of progress may be slow, but at least they're turning
Yes, I was contacted by the same guy (DOT) that you mentioned...

Having spent many, many years working for and with (I think...:confused:) the government, I'm all too familiar with how the system works. "Slowly" falls far short of an adequate descriptor..., but it'll have to do.

Recognition that a problem exists is indeed a step in the right direction.

X

·
0 Posts
What does this mean for us exactly?

Aside from acknowledging the problem, and properly documenting it, how does it benefit us?

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Strange, but I took my car in for an unrelated problem when the dealer called to say they had found a problem with my rear differential on my 2006 CTS. They advised the repair would be performed under warranty. I wonder now if they spotted something like they said or this was simply a way to avoid future problems. Maybe one of those secret warranties?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts