Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Sedan Deville 4.5l V8
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

although my 1989 Sedan Deville did fine in the cold Canadian winter so far since two weeks I'm having issues with the door lock. This happens to the driver side front and rear door.
I can always open the door with the key from outside. But when the car is cold it won't open electrically by pushing the unlock button inside. I can hear the actuator working but the handle inside (and the button outside) has no resistance and when I then try with the key I can feel that there is a tiny resistance at the end..
This is especially annoying when driving very short distance and then having to exit the car on the passenger side :annoyed:

However, after driving a longer distance and the heating kicking in it works fine..

I guess some WD40 could fix it but I have no clue where to apply it..

·
Registered
2005 Lexus LS430, 1993 Deville
181 Posts
If you use the passanger unlock button to unlock the doors, does the drivers door unlock with no problem?

·
Registered
1989 Sedan Deville 4.5l V8
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you use the passanger unlock button to unlock the doors, does the drivers door unlock with no problem?
No, when it's cold the none of the buttons open the driver side doors. Still, the driver side front door always opens with the key. I guess with the key I can just apply more force than the actuator can..

·
Registered
2005 Lexus LS430, 1993 Deville
181 Posts
Hmm, sounds to me that it might be a problem with the actuator; maybe it's a combination of being cold and failing. When it's cold it might just be a little stiff and does not have the power to raise the lever enough for it to catch. I have a 93 Deville, is the lock lever on the door right next to the button and handle? Try to raise the lock lever with it cold on both door's, if the actuator is not doing it, then you should be able to from the inside, I am thinking that if the actuators are weak, the lock levers might not be going up all the way. If thats the case I would say that it very well could be the actuators.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It's a mix of old grease on the parts inside the door and being cold out. You have to take the door panel off to get oil to it properly. Krown usually does a good job at making that stuff work again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts