Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem... whenever I shut off my car's engine and open the door (driver's side), the radio stays on for a short period of time (10 min or so). However, if any of the other 3 doors are opened (rear driver side, and both passenger sides) the radio shuts off immediately like it should.

So unless I have a passenger, I have to open another door to get the radio to shut off immediately. This is kinda bugging me. I'm lead to believe that their is a switch in the door that isn't functioning properly. Has anyone had this problem?

BTW it's a 1995 DeVille...

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,654 Posts
Quick switch test: Does your interior light energize when you open the driver's door? IF not, then the switch is highly suspect. Connect a meter across it and check for continuity when the plunger is cycled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went outside and opened the drivers door... the interior dome lights and door courtest lights do go on when the door is opened. I am lost :(

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I wish I had the Factory Service Manual for that car as it would be interesting to see the wiring for the driver's side light switch. I bet there's another circuit from the door switch to the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) module that senses when the driver's door is open. It may have fallen off the switch or is simply broken somewhere. Sorry, I'm not able to provide much more guidance. In any case, it seems to be a simple issue of wiring. However, the worst case is that the RAP module is shot and you need to replace it.

Good Luck and let us know what you find along the way.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,654 Posts
Your symptoms strongly point toward a bad switch (easy to find and easy to fix). The RAP module is probably good, since the radio de-engergizes after 10 min, and the passenger side door switch circuit is cueing the module properly. If the switch tests good with a continutiy tester or ohmmeter, you could have an open in the switch path wiring. This is actually one of the easier problems to localize, (a quick glance at some of the other posts in this section of the forum will attest to this!) so don't be discouraged. If you are electrically-challenged, don't attempt this without help, or you might make the problem worse. A decent mechanic ought to have this isolated in a few minutes, so labor shouldn't be a killer.
Please do us all a favor here. Report back what the fix was, and how it was found. All too often, advice is given on this forum and we never hear back from the recipient again, which makes us wonder if the advice was good, or out to lunch. Anytime a problem is discussed, symptoms are displayed and a solution found, everyone who reads these posts benefits, and it avoids duplication of effort and time. And the main purpose of these forums is to help each other. Good luck!

CCC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts