Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 fleetwood..driverside door seems like the lock is stuck and will not open so i have to slide thru the passenger side..how do i go about fixing this. I can hear something clicking when i try to open it so i think its the lock..all the other doors work fine with the key and power locks..any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
prelude said:
1988 fleetwood..driverside door seems like the lock is stuck and will not open so i have to slide thru the passenger side..how do i go about fixing this. I can hear something clicking when i try to open it so i think its the lock..all the other doors work fine with the key and power locks..any ideas?

I had the same prob with my '87 Brougham a month ago.
I had to actually replace the door latch with another found at a junk yard.

This is not an easy job... getting that door panel off with the door closed is a PAIN!!

And reconnecting all the linkage can be a bit tricky if you don't pay close attention when removing the original.

Now for the bad news... Cadillac wanted $$155.00 for a new door latch,
and it is getting harder and harder to find these old caddies in a salvage yard (they are worth more for scrap metal than their parts).

however, if you hate sliding across the passenger side as much as I did,
its worth whatever you have to do.

good luck, Pwrhse

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem on my 90 DeVille on the same say I bought it. I had it checked out by 3 mechanics and they didn't know how to fix it. I'm 16 and I don't have much knowledge on cars, but I tried to fix it myself. I managed, and I succeeded. It hurted like hell, but I hated sliding through the passenger door. Hope you get it!!!

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
I had the same problem also. What happened was that the lock mechanism was sticking. A couple flicks of the inner door handle finally got it open but it took me a while to figure that out. It seemed to get stuck when someone would try to open the door from the outside when it was locked. When you push the button on the outer handle it actuates a rod that pushes down on a little lever on the mechanism, that little lever would stay stuck in the down position, and you basically couldn't get the door to unlock. If you roll the window down and try to get door panel off the top of the door by prying it carefully ( trying not to break the chrome vertical trim on the panel ) you should be able to see how the latch works. You should be ablr to pull the lever up with a long long screwdriver, or a rod of some sort maybe even a hanger...
Let us know what happens. Good luck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts