Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have a 2003 CTS w/ luxury and sport package - just got it a few days ago.

Anyways, I have a small problem with it which just started tonight. When I open my driver door, my seat is supposed to move to its exit position, my radio is supposed to turn off and all that other stuff. Well, it's not doing that. To get my radio and lights to turn off now, I have to open the passenger door.

Also, when I open my driver door, the interior light doesn't turn on, so it's suggesting to me that it's just a door sensor issue or something? Or is there some setting which got changed perhaps?

Thanks in advance all!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Sounds like you've got it nailed down to me. Must be a faulty door sensor. Check it on the side, is it sticking? Perhaps it's not lubbed properly

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AsAkAs said:
Sounds like you've got it nailed down to me. Must be a faulty door sensor. Check it on the side, is it sticking? Perhaps it's not lubbed properly
I was wondering if there might be something sticking on the side? If I look tomorrow in the daylight, should I be able to see it easily? Hopefully it's just that...I'm loving the car too much to have to leave it with the shop for even a day. At least it's under warranty either way...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
They use a switch inside the door lock assembly called a "mini-wedge".
There is a gear that rotates when the latch is latched and when the latch rotates open it supposed to make the switch go to ground and that tells the computer that your door is open.
You could have a bad switch or a broken wire.
It does indeed sound like the computer doesn't know the door is open.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm..alrighty. Doesn't look like I can see much, so I'm gonna have to bring it in.

Here's a stupid question - Do I have to bring it to the dealer to have it covered under factory warranty? Or can I bring it anywhere? I'm not a big fan of the GM repair place here, nor are they open today...I'd rather bring it somewhere that's open today and get it done asap.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You have to take it to a GM dealer to get warranty work done.
An Independent won't have the parts you need, they'll probably have to get them from the dealership anyway.
You CAN take it to ANY GM dealer, the only problem is they might not want to do it. Your best bet is to find a place that just hired someone who left Cadi and is familiar with your model. Technically it's supposed to be only for emergencies, it's called 'crossline' warranty.
The service manager or Area manager can authorize it.

Everything is inside the door so it's going to have to come apart.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that sucks. Let's hope the dealer here improved their service sometime in the last 10 years...

Thanks for the replies all.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I can't go to the dealer as they're closed today...BUT, the car DOES recognize that the door opens. I opened the door when the car was in gear and my DIC message popped up saying "Driver Door Open."

But it still doesn't bring the interior light on, turn off the radio, etc etc....garrrr...

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,062 Posts
There may be more than one door position switch. This is common on other makes. For instance my Ford Ranger has one for lights and another for the door open warning.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There are two switches, a "door ajar" and a "door open" switch.
Both are in the same assembly.

·
Registered
2006 CTS, 3.6 w/Sport Package
98 Posts
Question ewill3rd Re: Door sensor problem?

My driver door lock just stopped worked, The switch on the driver door operates the other 3 doors fine for lock and unlock, but do not see or hear anything working on the driver door. Remote also operates the other three doors fine. Maybe whatever solenoid or actuator operates that lock perhaps ? Any chance it could be a programming problem (had just cleared out the DTCs) ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts