Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have this problem? ive been to the dealership for it once already to get the originals replaced, and now these are the replacements in the video, look at how pathetic this is, they peel once they get a nick in them or anything, and then you can just rub your finger over them and that happens, on a 32K luxury sedan, amazing. i asked the dealer for 4 woodgrain pull handles and they said they cant do it because that isnt what the car came with, so in return, i have emailed cadillac/GM direct about this utter bullshit to see what they have to say. heres a link to my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VMEMOcW2e0

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
looks like they will just keep doing it...ide push for the woodgrain... if they say no they keep switching them every 2 weeks till they give in...call gm and email them.
how much would it cost 2 buy the woodgrain ones? might b worth it to just put woodgrain on the front 2 doors (depending on how much you use the back doors... i never do lol)

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
I can't view youtube from work. Please save me the suspense of waiting....:want:

Are you talking about the interior or exterior handles?

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
they are the handles on the inside of the car that you pull to close the doors when you are sitting... so yes interiour

looks like they have a rubber coating that peals off...i dont see a solution to this other thaan maybe sprayin them with clear.

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
I think I know which ones you're talking about...I believe mine have the woodgrain on them.

If you want to refinish them, just as any interior part...you'll have to completely peel all of that urethane junk off...then sand the part with say 800 grit. I'd skip right over the primer, spray on an adhesion promoter, then shoot the color and clear. I'd put on at least 3 good coats of clear...I used to paint interior parts for the kids I ran around with, so I know that if it's a touched piece it needs more protection. Stay away from the rattle can stuff...you'll make a mess and be even more pissed off in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
04 CTS
14 Posts
Mine are doing the same, but it a an 04 and I purchased it used. I plan on just rubbing the rubber off them, then they will be a gloss black instead of rubber black. I believe the front of the a/c vents and the whole driver info center is the same crap.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
utterly rediculous, i really want the wood grain pull handles though, so if anyone out there has a tan interior like mine, and wants the black ones and wants to swap theyre 4 wood grains for my 4 blacks let me know. cause the dealership isnt giving in, they say they cant do it because its not what came with the car, even the manager said so yada yada, i emailed caddy direct lets see what they say.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,724 Posts
I would just rub them off myself. Looks fine glossy black IMO.

Sometimes nicotine or other stuff people may have on their hands can weaken such material. All the buttons on my friends' radios who smoke have worn off, while I do not generally have such an issue. Not an exuse for the cheap product, but perhaps an explanation why the issue is not more widespread.

If you don't smoke, do you use anything on your hands regularly? Or work in a toxic checmical plant?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi
310 Posts
If I were you ghost I would go check the junk yards. You have any near you? I have 2 and usually they sell that kind of stuff for really cheap. They make most of their money off motors and trannys.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i contacted cadillac direct about it, and they emailed me back and told me to call them, today i did call them and they are looking into the matter and my local dealership ect, im waiting to hear back from them

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
I looked, and see no GM bulletins related to this.

That's pretty bad.

My wife's Saturn VUE has a large part on the dash that has the 'rubberized' coating. I knew it would be a issue someday. 5 years later it has pealed in a couple of spots. But nothing like the video.

That being said, I can see stuff like Armour All or silicones causing this type of coating failure.

Logan Diagnostic LLC
www.ledfix.com
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandieselusa.com

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.2L 5sp Black
7 Posts
Does anyone know where to buy accent pieces that stick on over this area? ala the woodgrain ones on the lux model or the satin ones on the v-series? I've looked at numerous wood dash kits like sherwood and none include this piece. Seems to me that it would be a highly desired item, no?

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Does anyone know where to buy accent pieces that stick on over this area? ala the woodgrain ones on the lux model or the satin ones on the v-series? I've looked at numerous wood dash kits like sherwood and none include this piece. Seems to me that it would be a highly desired item, no?
they probably dont make it because it just a stick on and with it being a part that is grabbed a lot there is a good chance it will also fall off. not worth the hastle of people complaining that they dont stick on. ive got a 100+ woodgrain kit (not installed,came in the trunk when i bought the car)and it doesnt have anything for this

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone who comes along and has cashmere interior and wants to trade theyre 4 wood handles for my 4 black ones pm me, i just had 2 new ones put on the front doors today

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i just bought on ebay the entire door panel, 2 of them in great condition for 70 bucks each, with the wood pull handles on them, the guy has a third panel damaged with the wood pull handle and im finding out weather he can just sell me that pull handle and not the damaged panel. so im gonna have 4 black handles up for sale soon if anyone is interested

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
well i just bought on ebay the entire door panel, 2 of them in great condition for 70 bucks each, with the wood pull handles on them, the guy has a third panel damaged with the wood pull handle and im finding out weather he can just sell me that pull handle and not the damaged panel. so im gonna have 4 black handles up for sale soon if anyone is interested
i was gonna tell you that i saw them on ebay...
and i was also gonna suggust that if they match mine sell me the pannels... mine arent as nice as ide like...not bad but not perfect...let me no what you think..i only need the front 2 doors...no handles..but i got a couple other things that are higher up on the list so it depends on what you want for them with the shipping..

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
I had the same problem. They replaced two of mine (passenger front, driver-side rear) under warranty. They've held up ever since.

-GT

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was gonna tell you that i saw them on ebay...
and i was also gonna suggust that if they match mine sell me the pannels... mine arent as nice as ide like...not bad but not perfect...let me no what you think..i only need the front 2 doors...no handles..but i got a couple other things that are higher up on the list so it depends on what you want for them with the shipping..
i think i won a front passenger panel and a real passenger panel, not 2 front panels, let me wait until the panels come and we'll figure this all out

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
i also had the same problem, all 4 handle pulls, the driverside switch panel and my entire grill peeled like nothing youve ever seen before !!!! i havent been 2 impressed with my Cadillac experience so far !!! although Cadillac did replace the parts under warranty...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts