Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'96 STS
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just experienced replacing the electric motor for the drivers door window. There are two screws that hold the panel onto the door...one in the lower rear corner of the door panel just to the outside of the door pocket....there is a plastic retainer plug beside it that you need to pop to expose the screw. (very bottom left hand corner) The other screw is behind the plastic molding around the interior door latch....the plastic cover simply pops off with a little pressure behind it. There is also a plastic retainer in the top front corner on the panel ...a triangular shaped piece that covers the door mirror controls. This will also pop off with a little pressure behind it with a wide blade screwdriver ....best of luck not breaking it ! If you move a putty knife around the perimeter of the panel you can pop the rest of the retainers then lift the panel up and out to remove. The electrical switches come out easily with a little gentle persuasion ...and the electric motor has 3 nuts to remove. I didn't worry about the position of the window...it remained in place throughout the job. Total job took about 1 hour ....and I'm no mechanic !

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
If you move a putty knife around the perimeter of the panel you can pop the rest of the retainers
A door panel remover tool works much better than a putty knife.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
LOL, I have had one of these for years along with the window crank removal tool. :)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Hehe, you know I too have a crank handle removal too that has been nestled away for decades, but now that I have the '69 Road runner it, as well as several other old tools I never thought I'd use again, like timing lights, are once more finding usefulness.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
Hehe, you know I too have a crank handle removal too that has been nestled away for decades, but now that I have the '69 Road runner it, as well as several other old tools I never thought I'd use again, like timing lights, are slowly finding usefulness again.
RIGHT??!!??!!
I havent used my timing light in over 15 yrs but the great thing is I still know how to use it. Kinda like useing a vacuum gauge to tune the carborator.
But the pickle fork still comes in handy today. :thehand:

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Door panel tools are more or less useless in modern cars. Their purpose is to get right under and around the clip itself so you can pry it. This was easy and helpful with older fiberboard panels that layed flat over the inner door skin. The shape of newer door panels and the placement of the clips in them make it more or less impossible to to the tool into position. It basically acts as a metal pry tool and can damage the panel and scratch the door. Grabbing an edge and giving a firm tug works much better on newer cars.

·
Registered
1996 STS
141 Posts
I have a 1996 STS and there is no hidden screw plug on the lower left hand side of the door by the pocket...Where else might I look?

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts