Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. I recently bought a 1992 cadillac brougham and the passanger door doesn't open easily. I can get it open but the door lock hinge is broken and missing parts. I was wondering if anyone on here knows where i can buy one or know of any other car i can use it off of? I tried ebay and Amazon already and no luck so far. Thank you

·
Registered
Cadillac
814 Posts
That's a body shop item for me. Reason being, it is an acquired skill to align the door into the hinge knuckle AND push a pin thru all the while trying not to scratch the door. Super tough to do without carnage for the 1st timer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don't know what you mean by door lock hinge.
You got the hinges, latch, latch pin, lock levers & rods, lock motor, handles, handle levers & rods, and rod clips.

Door hinge repair kits are available for some cars, sold by Dorman, Help, and restroration companies.
Door latch pins may be available by the same manufactures & sellers.

Rear door latches would guess only available used.
When there is a strong demand for a part such as for a Chevelle front door hinge it's available new from restoration sources.
But no demand for 4 door Chevelles, so no rear door restroation parts available.

Just a guess you my try any full sized GM car & station wagon starting with 77 till 1990, or, discontinued, or downsized.
Such as:
77-86' Fleetwood
77-90' Caprice
77-84' Olds 98
77-85' Olds Delta 88
Simular with Pontiac, Buick, & full size wagons

Best bet is to remove the old and go searching at a local salvage yard hopefully that has a few older models.

Many online salvage yards have a parts interchange tool.
Problem is they don't list every possible part on the car.
Only the more popular items sold.
So it would show a complete door, door glass, but maybe not a latch or hinge.

·
Registered
2002 Deville
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im definitely not using the right word and for some reason i cant think of it. Maybe door lock latch? Im going to try taking it out and just going to the salvage yard. I appreciate the responses and i will update when i go

·
Registered
388 Posts
GM parts online lists it as a door lock assembly, I would call it a door latch myself.
Listings from GM parts online have been removed for your model.
As the parts are discontinued they're are deleted from the current parts listings.
Makes it harder to figure compatibility.
The 86' fleetwood latch looks simular but listed as a 1 year only part.

What makes that part different is it has a switch.
Think that's to light the interior if the door handle is pulled even if the door is not opened.
Not a common option in the 70's or 80's.
Most cars then only had a door jamb switch.
By the last generation they used a multi switch on the door latch and deleted the door jamb switch.
Still have the hole in the door jams covered with a filler plug.
But perhaps the assemblys were made so the switch option could be added vs an entire different part.

Not sure which door you need.
92 Brougham Door Latch on Ebay

I would inspect it for damage or excessive wear.
Perhaps it could be soaked in a solvent, cleaned, & lubercated to make it work well again.

·
Registered
2002 Deville
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think all im missing off it is a clip that lets it unlock. When it was in the door i could get it open by pushing a little metal piece up and i believe its where the lock motor would pull it up but its hard to say or tell exactly

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
778 Posts
OK, that is the actual door latch I guess. I have never had to replace one. Sometimes the lock linkage is kind of hokey and won't lock and unlock properly or completely. It sounds like that may be your problem. It looks like your lock rod is still on there. Maybe you just need the clip that keeps it on the manual lock button?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts