Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Eldorado
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My driver's door won't open!

So my door button on the driver's side has sometimes given me "seconds" of trouble when I push the button since I bought it 2 years ago. Sometimes it pushes and opens right away, sometimes it takes a 2nd try and a little extra umpf, but it always opened.

Today, I get out of the car for less than 1 minute, I go to get back in the car and the button won't press. The door won't open. It goes about half way but that's it. I took a look at the passenger door to see how it works and whether the door is locked or unlocked the button will always push in. I was thinking maybe it was stuck in the "LOCK" position somehow but I don't think that's the case based on the passenger door. I sprayed some WD-40 in there to no avail. I'm not sure how the top interior panel comes off to maybe take a better look but it seems that there is a screw that is behind my dash that will prevent me from removing it without the door being open. Any tips on how to get the top panel off or if that will even let me access the possible problem?

I checked the locking mechanism on the passenger door to see if I pushed it all the way up if the button would still press in on the passenger though and it does, so I think the issue is in the button itself.

·
Registered
Eldorado
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK no responses. I finally found a mechanic who figured out the problem and got my door open. It's the door latch assembly. He sent me this pic and said "that plate is what's broken off". I'm not sure what exactly he is referring to in this photo. He thought maybe he could find a welder who can weld it back together. It would be nice to replace it but is there an actual part name or number for this? Do you think this whole assembly needs replacing or can just the "plate that is broken" can be replaced?

This is a '74 Eldorado convertible. Does anyone have a part # book that can help me out? A search of "door latch assembly eldorado" on EBAY came up empty, so I'm wondering if there is a more exact name for it. He couldn't find a part # on it either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 FWB
874 Posts
.......... I'm not sure what exactly he is referring to in this photo. He thought maybe he could find a welder who can weld it back together. It would be nice to replace it but is there an actual part name or number for this? Do you think this whole assembly needs replacing or can just the "plate that is broken" can be replaced?

This is a '74 Eldorado convertible. Does anyone have a part # book that can help me out? A search of "door latch assembly eldorado" on EBAY came up empty, .......

Thanks!
Ask him what the 'broken' part is. The "maybe he could find a welder" does not instill the greatest amount of confidence, but a low quote would be an easy "first try". Highly unlikely that assembly is still available for a 45-year old GM, so part numbers not nearly as important as hunting my description. Expand the search to a real search engine, not just ebay. I recommend DuckDuckGo. There are online outfits that will specialize in old Cady parts.

·
Registered
Eldorado
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
96 FWB
874 Posts
Good. So they're doing re-pops now. Call them and see if they have yours - or have a lead where.

·
Registered
Eldorado
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They gave me a lead in arizona, but I wish I had a part number. It's hard to tell them what you need over the phone without a part number!

·
Registered
Eldorado
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I found a page from one of my manuals that shows the assembly but no part numbers. Someone on EBAY sent me a parts list. It looks like the RH assembly is part #9875867 ... but they don't list the LH assembly. Am I to assume it's the same for the coupe, which I think is part #9827986?

20200715_073026.jpg

·
Registered
Eldorado
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do they have to make this so difficult? LOL. I found another manual online that confirms the part is correct #982796. Driver's side door latch.

And I found an EBAY auction that ended a month ago that is NEW old stock. SOLD! Damn! Still looking!

·
Registered
Eldorado
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to give another update, it helps that you have a 70 year old mechanic who is a problem solver. The weld idea did not work and did not hold. So my mechanic drilled some holes and bolted and riveted the piece back together and it's working! Seems very solid. He threw it to the ground and it stayed together. Cool, cheap solution for someone out of work.

I'll be on the hunt for a true replacement but this should hold for a while. By the way, the place in Arizona that was recommended to me by OPGI also had the part but they were just going to take it off an old caddy in the junkyard, which was going to take a little bit of time and also delivery, so I decided to keep looking for a better condition one instead since I have a temp solution for now. The one in AZ was $140 plus shipping for 1 assembly. Desert Valley Auto Parts out of Phoenix if you are in need of something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts