Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS V8 AWD 1SG
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my car recently got rain on the driver door control panel. Now my door lock or my window or mirror controls won't operate. Working good on all other doors except drivers door. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took off door panel and no access water build up unplugged switches worked for a second then stopped.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS4 V6
99 Posts
could still be shorting somewhere. looks like it needs more drying..leave it under the sun or use air canister to blow switches and contact points, or hair dryer? etc good luck

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
R & R with dielectric grease. (I own a Triumph TR6 and would never be without the stuff.)

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
Strange if water affected this, I would have thought these are sealed since they are always exposed to weather. Once while driving, my window was open and a guy hit a huge puddle on my right. Splash went over the roof and poured in my window all over the inside driver's door. I immediately did up window to close it and wiped it down. Never had any problems. Good luck either way! Hope it dries out for you!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Used dielectric greese didn't have any affect I can't for the life of me figure this out

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
There are many places that dielectric grease is appropriate, but this really isn't one of them. I would never apply it to the switches in this module.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok so I broke the window switch all the way down, cleaned it off real good, got all the corrosive material off, and still nothing. anybody have any suggestions before I take to dealer? All I got was a blinking window lock light running out of patient

·
Registered
2008 DTS
2 Posts
Check the module in the drivers door, sounds lilke water might have gotten into it. If it did you may have to replace it. Electricity and water are very distructive in electronic componets but you might try unpluging it and set it in a warm dry place for a while. Set it out in the sun for a while.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Disassemble it. Rinse it off under the hot water faucet. Blow it off thoroughly with compressed air. Finish up the drying process with a hair dryer.
This will rescue a TV flinker dropped in the toilet. Says an old fart with 55 years experience with military and industrial electronics.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok took apart and cleaned module and switch and window lock button light is still on blinking

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
23 Posts
You will need to take out that module and replace it with a working one. That module is toast, and unsalvageable. Water penetrates to the contacts and won't work again.
Go to eBay for a replacement. I've bought a couple pretty cheap, and both worked great.

And if you continue to use the same module, you may be surprised when at a traffic signal, your windows go crazy, the seat starts to move, the mirrors go looking for the stars and the steering wheel adjusts itself. That happened to me, after repeated attempts to dry out and salvage the module. Freaked me out too.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2004 SRX
10 Posts
if you can totally remove the switches from the door then do so. they still have moisture in them. they need to completely dry out. if that don't work pick up some used ones from a junkyard

·
Registered
1997 Deville
118 Posts
Check the module in the drivers door, sounds lilke water might have gotten into it. If it did you may have to replace it. Electricity and water are very distructive in electronic componets but you might try unpluging it and set it in a warm dry place for a while. Set it out in the sun for a while.
put the module in a bucket or pot of uncooked rice and let the rice dry it for 24 hrs! works for cell phone electronics that have taken on water?!

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe
3 Posts
If you haven't solved your problem, did you happen to try WD-40? The WD stands for "water displacement". I have used it many times over the past 30 or so years on electrical components to dry them out, or just clean them in general. If you read about the stuff, it is not supposed to be used as a lubricant, as it doesn't leave much around after it evaporates. It is more of a mild solvent and drying agent than it is a lubricant, and I've never had it harm any electrical contacts or circuit boards; it is not an insulator. I've used it on circuit boards and switches on electronic devices and worn out or dirty switches on just about anything. I also used it on a pair of $3K hearing aids to dry them after getting caught out in a storm (they're still working a year later). My favorite multimeter stopped working and I suspected the switch (no clicks when changing positions). Sprayed WD-40 around the switch. I'm still using that meter today with no problems. I've used it on worn out room light switches to clean and sometimes get a little more service out of something without having to disassemble anything. Try it sometime on a dirty or worn lamp or light switch that stops working, one having that smooth feel with no "click" when you switch it. Often the click will come back and usually the switch will start working again; you can then use the switch until you have a chance to buy a replacement (or longer). I spray it into any openings in or around the switch or other part that is giving problems, then work it a few times. With all the things you've tried so far, it may be too late, but it's worth a try. It might also dissolve that dielectric grease, if you got it somewhere it shouldn't be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts