Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am reading about recharging my AC system, I've read a couple of threads that say not to use AC sealant. Why is that? The AC R134a kits come with oil and sealant to be added to the system; what is the reasoning behind not using the included sealant as instructed?:hmm:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,130 Posts
Depends on which charging kit you buy - you can buy 1# cans of R134a only. The sealant thing is that it tends to clog expansion valves (high side/low side liquid to gas) and the valve plate in the compressor.

If the system was leaking like a sieve, that takes professional repair. If the system bled down over two years or more, I would not dump in some goo. Try to find a home wrencher with a R134a gauge set and recharge by the book. Charge to gauge pressure readings, not the seat of your pants.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac DeVille DTS
150 Posts
The same reasoning why you wouldn't pour cement down the drain to stop a leaky pipe in your house.

Leak could be something as simple as $0.05 o-ring or a $15 shaft seal, but if you'd rather spending $3,000 to $4,000 having the entire system replaced, compressor, condenser, accumulator, suction and discharge lines, sensors, and the evaporator, which involves removing the entire dashboard, then the leak sealer is for you. Ironically, most of the time sealers never work to fix the leak.

If you want to service your vehicle PROPERLY, then you need the right tools, and they don't come in a $19.95 kit from WalMart.

Joe

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Very nice analogy. Pretty much any kind of pour in leak stopper is a bad idea in any system on a car.
There are a lot of moving parts and small places that stuff is supposed to get through.
Sticking in some "magic goo" to save a buck is really going to hurt you in the long run.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Say the product does plug a small leak for you but uses only a fraction of the sealant in the bottle. Think of all the places the rest of the sealant will go.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I get the picture. My curiosity regarding the sealant had less to do with fixing a leaking system and more to do with using the sealant as one of three steps to be done to recharge a system that has not been attended to for awhile. It sounds as though I should bypass the sealant and just add a measured amount of refrigerant to bring the system up to snuff.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I fixed the AC problem over the weekend. Turns out it was low on freon, so I went to my local WalMart and bought a $15.97 regulator and a can of R134a refrigerant w/o sealant and brought the system up to snuff. Now have cold AC throughout the car. Thanks for the help, fellas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts