Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
That's what I've been hoping. I've kept my stock sways, exhaust, everything, to go back to stock when the time comes. My V is stored for the winter and will soon be a fair-weather car full time. The '09 and later V will help ease the pain of keeping my miles low...

·
Registered
221 Posts
The question I always have is, how long does one need to keep this car to make it a viable investment? Bought it at 46, its worth 28 or so now... Am I to hold on to this thing, taking up space in my home, for 50 years for it to surpass the original purchase price? Doesn't really seem like a great investment. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
I too have all my OEM parts that I've replaced with mods, 'just in case'.

I love my car, and don't see selling it. I also love my car too much for it to be much of a collectible, as I drive it all the time beacuse it's just so much fun. I have 56k on the clock now, and see no let off on the miles anytime soon.

-Chris

P.S. did anyone else notice that the 'expert' in the article indicated that the 5.7L V's would be collectible, because they had a race inspired engine, with racing components in them, like titanium rods. :bigroll:. :thepan:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The question I always have is, how long does one need to keep this car to make it a viable investment? Bought it at 46, its worth 28 or so now... Am I to hold on to this thing, taking up space in my home, for 50 years for it to surpass the original purchase price? Doesn't really seem like a great investment. Thoughts?
Pretty much. Cars these days are disposable due to the higher number produced and the complex computer systems being virtually un-serviceable without expensive equipment.

My guess? 20 years from now people will still be restoring Pre-OBD cars like the 60's and 70's Camaros, Mustangs, 'Cudas, etc....I doubt we'll see a "vintage" CTS-V bringing big bucks in the next 20 years.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Pretty much. Cars these days are disposable due to the higher number produced and the complex computer systems being virtually un-serviceable without expensive equipment.

My guess? 20 years from now people will still be restoring Pre-OBD cars like the 60's and 70's Camaros, Mustangs, 'Cudas, etc....I doubt we'll see a "vintage" CTS-V bringing big bucks in the next 20 years.
I'm not sure on the exact timeframe, but there will eventually be a market.

The author hit it on the head with the GNX's. Those are starting to generate interest, and they are the first round of mainstream EFI cars.

Bottom line though, cars are definately not an investment.

-Chris

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
2005's would be even more.. The VERY last run of the LS6 for the current generation (I think its the 3rd??) of the motor!

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
Yes, and anyone looking to get a "Collectors edition V (04)", I have one up for sale. Get it now at the low bargain price of $26k. At that price, current 04/05 owners can buy this one as a spare. Oooops, mines not a TRUE 04 since it has an 06 differential in it...

=)

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
590 Posts
2005's would be even more.. The VERY last run of the LS6 for the current generation (I think its the 3rd??) of the motor!
But the 04's had fewer cars made since they represented only a half year of production. Collectible car value is usually based upon scarcity (is that a word?).

·
Registered
Nada
2,053 Posts
P.S. did anyone else notice that the 'expert' in the article indicated that the 5.7L V's would be collectible, because they had a race inspired engine, with racing components in them, like titanium rods. :bigroll:. :thepan:
Yeah, that same expert also mentioned something about tuned Honda Civics also being collectible. :alchi:

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
I love my car, and don't see selling it. I also love my car too much for it to be much of a collectible, as I drive it all the time beacuse it's just so much fun. I have 56k on the clock now, and see no let off on the miles anytime soon.
Same with me, either you drive the hell out of it, or you put it in a garage for 20 years. If you are looking at the V solely as an investment, call a Financial Advisor, they can get you into a Hedge Fund paying much more annually that the V will appreciate.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Does it have a chance ? Sure. It's a limited production vehicle and more will get lost to accidents, rust, or whatever over time. Especially if the design/ V-Series catches on and continues like the Corvette. In such a case the first few years of the car would be worth something to collectors and having the Cadillac brand on it doesn't hurt. But one would have to be looking at 30-40 years down the road with it spending many of that stored and being driven rarely. That simply won't be realistic for most of us. How many here can say they've owned a car for even 15 years and kept it in near show condition ? (not me)

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
My parents have a '72 BMW 2002. It was daily driven for almost 15 years and was in an accident. In '86, it was repainted down to the frame and kept out of rain and snow.

I've had in mind that I want to keep the V forever. I'm looking for it to be a collectible, not for the $$$, for the fun of it. I've kept it pretty cherry. And like I said, I'm keeping all the stock parts, even the armrest.

I would love to be an old fart, cruising to shows in a stock, mileage in the 60s and 70s, mint V. Whether the V series takes off or dies, that shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Wonder why the truck engine years aren't considered collectible? (Duck)

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Wonder why the truck engine years aren't considered collectible? (Duck)
DUH...because they don't have titanium rods :thepan:

-Chris

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
... I've had in mind that I want to keep the V forever. I'm looking for it to be a collectible, not for the $$$, for the fun of it. I've kept it pretty cherry. And like I said, I'm keeping all the stock parts, even the armrest.

I would love to be an old fart, cruising to shows in a stock, mileage in the 60s and 70s, mint V. Whether the V series takes off or dies, that shouldn't matter.
Yeah that.

The only stock part I don't have are the OEM anti-sway bars. Do you think Luke will still be there at Lindsay in 2025 when I'll need to go back to stock?

(Huh ... the only problem is that I think I'm ALREADY "an old fart." :rolleyes:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts