Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently my caddy decided to feed the electrical gremlins and i'm getting some trouble here.

OK, so a few days ago me and my brother were cruising and he's rolling up to a stop sign. The radio goes out, the dash goes blank then comes back to normal with a few lights displayed (i.e. inflatable restraint, abs) and then all is back to normal. It's like the car is rebooting. Engine did not stall. Later on this keeps happening to me, and the car would occasionally stall below highway speeds. It has happened when I am cruising along and when im slowing down. Fuel levels don't make any difference; i've had it happen with a low tank of gas and with a full tank. I also heard a backfire out of the muffler one time.

Recently, however, it has gotten worse. On a drive home, it must have happened about 6 times, and when I was pulling into the front of my house, it has stalled twice on two separate occasions. The second stall was really bad. All the electronics completely died. Turning the key got nothing to come on. It was like the battery was disconnected. After a minute, it would light up but the engine wouldn't even try to start (like a pulled fuse). After another minute, it finally started. I could've sworn I heard a whirring sort of noise when I was hitting the gas a moment before the stall.

On the day of the last stall, I noticed my lights were flickering; like the voltage in the car wasn't constant. The headlights were dimming, the dash, fuel gauge, interior lights, everything was flickering. Sometimes the dash even shot up to a bright blue/white and then back to normal.

I went to autozone and had the alternator and battery tested. Alternator came out OK but they said something was wrong with the battery...something like a cell was going bad. Should I replace the battery? The car does start up cold and it seems to hold a charge so I don't understand what could be wrong with it. Battery cables look good and so does the connection to the alternator.

Today the car rebooted itself (no stall) and my speedo went weird. It would go from 0-10 and skip all the single digits. So 40 mph was really 30 mph. This is with a digital dash btw.

I may also want to mention that I have been messing with the fuses on daily basis. I take out certain fuses to keep the car from starting to help deter would be thieves. Could this somehow be causing my problem? If this problem is too complex for me to solve I would gladly bring this to a mechanic, but would prefer one in the chicago area that would have experience with this kind of issue (especially with cadillacs). My car does need a tune up too, as it has been having a misfire since I bought it, but have not quite had the money for a tune up. Would that have anything to do with it?

This problem has only started since last week.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville, 2004 Cadillac DTS, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe
331 Posts
Something similiar happened to me in my 96...

It sounds like one of those main fuse "blocks" are loose, at least that was the problem with my car.

When I would hit a bump or corner or something, everything except the engine would turn off. no blinkers. no lights, nothing...just a running engine.

check all of the fuses and make sure they are not loose.

or clean the battery ground, I hear that helps.

·
Registered
deville
41 Posts
thats wierd..i had a problem like that before and it turned out to be ignition switch harness.not the key switch but ignition switch on steering colum.that switch sends current every where to dash to accesorys and starter iwould have it checked and since its spring loaded its problably not releaseing properly...good luck

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
battery ground was already clean and fuses are good. I think it might be the ignition switch. Is that something I can expect to replace myself or would I need to have a mechanic look at it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts