Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
2008 Escalade Sport, 2018 Escalade Luxury & 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know what the Dexo does in the oil but I see that the oil cap says “Dexo oil only”. I thought that Dexo was just synthetic oil. I would only use Mobil 1 or GM Dexo 1 gen. 2 oil. I think using non-Dexo certified oil that was the reason why my lifers failed.

Liquid Bottle Fluid Automotive tire Font

Liquid Blue Fluid Solution Tin

· Registered
2010 DTS Premium 2010 Escalade EXT
693 Posts
I think I saw in another thread that you used Pennzoil synthetic?? These lifter failures seem rather common and, IMHO, the AFM system is an over-complicated POS, prone to failure.

My 'guess' would be that the interval between oil changes is more important than the actual oil itself. Lotsa guys are driving 10k miles between oil/filter changes, and that's just begging for disaster IMO. I have dear friend who recently bought a top-of-the-line Toyota Tundra '1794' edition, a V-6 with TWIN turbos. He's got 5k miles on it and I'm begging him to come use my lift and we'll change O/F, especially as he's got twin turbos. But he doesn't want to hear it. He says dealer will change O/F for free at 10k miles! :oops:

I own AFM-equipped Escalade EXT 6.2L and I will NEVER exceed 3k miles on O/F, using Mobil 1.

· Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going by my oil life monitor and when it hit 10-15 percent that was when I took it in. There is a reason why it says Dexo on the oil cap.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,924 Posts
I change my oil every 3,000 miles and I don’t really pay attention to the oil monitor, but it does get reset at every oil change. Right now it’s at 80% after 1,500 miles, so it should be at about 60% when I get to 3,000 miles and I have it changed at 3k.

At this rate, I’d personally never let it get down to 10% which is when the “change oil soon” warning message comes on the DIC.

· Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD, Luxury
4,248 Posts
Thats odd, mine was at 18% when i changed it today, at ~3200 miles, no excessive running or anything odd, here is the GM calc...for what its worth, only factor i can think of is very short( 10 min) daily commutes, a few 6X a year long drives of 1-1/2 hours

Font Material property Parallel Number Rectangle

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,915 Posts
DEXOS is a GM licensing specification for minimum oil performance. It is NOT an oil and practically every marketed engine oil on earth meets the specs, licensed to display the GM logo or not.

The OLM is scary accurate with a significant safety factor built in. Change oil and filter when it alerts you or once a year. The old 3,000 mile interval is wasteful and expensive and gives you NO - NONE - NADA extra wear insurance. I gave that practice up back in the 70s and never looked back - and have NEVER had any sort of engine problem that could be attributed to oil and/or filter failure. Modern gasolines, oils, and PCV systems have greatly extended oil life.

It's not 1954 any more, folks -

Tin Plant Sky Tree Tin can

Read the OLM section of this Archive 2- written by one of the OLM development engineers - quite a while back. The new OLM algorithms and turbidity monitors are even more accurate -

......... and the newer OLM systems factor time into the algorithm, not just operating conditions and revolutions.

· Registered
35 Posts
I think I saw in another thread that you used Pennzoil synthetic?? These lifter failures seem rather common and, IMHO, the AFM system is an over-complicated POS, prone to failure.

My 'guess' would be that the interval between oil changes is more important than the actual oil itself. Lotsa guys are driving 10k miles between oil/filter changes, and that's just begging for disaster IMO. I have dear friend who recently bought a top-of-the-line Toyota Tundra '1794' edition, a V-6 with TWIN turbos. He's got 5k miles on it and I'm begging him to come use my lift and we'll change O/F, especially as he's got twin turbos. But he doesn't want to hear it. He says dealer will change O/F for free at 10k miles! :oops:

I own AFM-equipped Escalade EXT 6.2L and I will NEVER exceed 3k miles on O/F, using Mobil 1.
Oil is cheap. I don't know why people insist on following ridiculous 10k mile intervals. Youtube is filled with videos of mechanics tearing down Toyota engines that have cylinder scoring and the owners are confused saying "I changed the oil every 10k like Toyota recommends". Yeah, 10k oil changes will get you to the end of the warranty. If you want to keep it longer, 5k max. 3k would be way better.

· Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Between 5-6k is good enough. 3k is for non-synthetic and 5-6k for synthetic. Mobil 1 is great oil and should be used on any engine that is 3.6 or greater.

· Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many miles were on the truck when you bought it? Any idea of the service history before you bought it?
48k. I looked up the service history and I see a gap so I think they was taking it to a local oil shop. I seen a sticker on the windshield when I bought it as well from an independent place. I was thinking that some places don’t report it. I am sure this truck was a lease. I can see the truck was taken care of though but I can’t put my finger on the oil changes. The dealer did say the engine was clean and the camshaft was good. I do take great care of the truck though. Is there anything else I can do or how to tell?

· Registered
2010 DTS Premium 2010 Escalade EXT
693 Posts
......The old 3,000 mile interval is wasteful and expensive and gives you NO - NONE - NADA extra wear insurance. .......
For the most part, I agree.... but.... when you know with 100% certainty that you are dealing with a complex, fragile and trouble-prone lifter system that truly depends on clean engine oil, why take the chance?? An AFM lifter failure could cost thousands of $$$ to repair, or might even grenade your engine.

Now if you're talking about my '03 Silverado with 4.8L LS engine (an no AFM), then I totally concur with your post.

If you were like my friend (post #2 above) with the brand new Toyota V-6 Tundra with twin turbos, would you still be comfortable with 10k oil changes?? I mean, not just one, but two turbos. IMO this is another setup that needs more frequent oil changes.... seems like cheap insurance... and the old oil is nowadays recycled, so not wasted.

· Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to use Mobil Dexo 1 gen 2 oil and when my OLM reaches 20% I am going to start planing on an oil change.

· Registered
2016 ESV Platinum
338 Posts
48k. I looked up the service history and I see a gap so I think they was taking it to a local oil shop. I seen a sticker on the windshield when I bought it as well from an independent place. I was thinking that some places don’t report it. I am sure this truck was a lease. I can see the truck was taken care of though but I can’t put my finger on the oil changes. The dealer did say the engine was clean and the camshaft was good. I do take great care of the truck though. Is there anything else I can do or how to tell?
48k seems too high for a lease, most are 10 or 12k miles a year for up to three years unless someone pays for the extra miles, at which the lease becomes less financially appealing. I bought mine off of a lease and at 16k miles the oil had only been changed twice, once just before I took delivery and once at about 10,000 miles (probably when the OLM started complaining). Leased vehicles are not cared for. Although oil is a major factor in engine failure it is not the only factor. If I knew with 100% certainty that changing the oil every 5,000 miles would prevent any engine failures then I would do it, but there are no such assurances. I trust the engineers who designed these things. I have the dealer change the oil at or below 20% life or every 12 months.

· Registered
2002 DHS 2000 GMC Jimmy 1999 STS
356 Posts
I don’t know what the Dexo does in the oil but I see that the oil cap says “Dexo oil only”. I thought that Dexo was just synthetic oil. I would only use Mobil 1 or GM Dexo 1 gen. 2 oil. I think using non-Dexo certified oil that was the reason why my lifers failed.

View attachment 627114

View attachment 627118
Nope, dexos is GM's way of saying synthetic oil but in a nutshell, anything that is API SN PLUS rated ought to work in modern GM vehicles.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts