Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the dome light relay/timer is? I have a 89 Brougham (spelling??) that the timer sticks and the lights will not go off.
Thanks,
Jimmy :banghead:

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Are you sure it's not a switch somewhere that's broken or turned on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brougham said:
Are you sure it's not a switch somewhere that's broken or turned on?
Yes, I have unhooked all of them. It doesn't do it everytime, just most of the time. If you open the door with the key on, the timer is bypassed and the lights will go off when the door is closed. If you open the door with the key off, the 30 sec timer is activated and then it sticks, never shutting off the lights, even after turning the key on. I am sure that the contacts are sticking. I just haven't been able to locate it yet.
Jimmy

·
Registered
52 Posts
It sounds like you are looking for the illuminated entry time delay module. It is located behind the accessory relay panel. This is on the left (driver's) side. Move this relay panel out of the way, pull the electrical connector, and remove the module. Chances are this module will have to be replaced if it is the cause of the problem. Hope this helps. You might want to purchase a factory shop manual for your 1989 Brougham. It will help you in situations such as this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, you are talking about down by the fuse panel inside the car on the firewall? There is a panel under the fuse panel that has a couple of relays in it for the horn/power antenna.
Am I in the right area? I am working on a friend of mines car and he kinda lives in a bad part of town, so he really wants his dome lights to work so he can see into the car before entering it. That's why I haven't bought a book.
Yes, I am looking for the illuminated entry time delay module. Thanks.
Jimmy
PS, I am assuming that it is a Fleetwood Brougham, all it says on the quarter panel is Brougham. It is a rear wheel drive 4 door, with the 307 olds motor in it. It only has 65,000 actual miles on it.
Other than the relays in that panel that I mentioned, the only other thing that I saw was the white plastic piece that had the buzzer in it for lights on when door is open.

cadillacjack01 said:
It sounds like you are looking for the illuminated entry time delay module. It is located behind the accessory relay panel. This is on the left (driver's) side. Move this relay panel out of the way, pull the electrical connector, and remove the module. Chances are this module will have to be replaced if it is the cause of the problem. Hope this helps. You might want to purchase a factory shop manual for your 1989 Brougham. It will help you in situations such as this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It has been a few years since I have done this repair and it was on my 1991, but should be the same. Yes, you have the Fleetwood Brougham if it is the rear wheel drive model, commonly known as "Brougham". The illuminated entry timer is small, and it is not located in the relay panel. It is behind the accessory relay panel, which is the one to the left of the fuse block. I can't remember if they both come out together. They are held in with a few long screws and a mounting bracket. Take the screws out and move the bracket out of the way to give yourself some room. You will also need the left side kick panel off to get to this area. This illuminated entry timer is very hard to get to, and this still sounds to me like a timer problem. You will also need to go to a junkyard or something to get yourself another timer. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts