Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience towing a 2010 SRX front wheel drive with front wheels up on a car tow dolly? I've searched the forums and found a few threads on flat towing but nothing specifically on dolly towing. We would be towing with a motorhome.
1. What is the approximate weight on the front wheels? I found curb weight is approximately 4300 lbs.
2. What make/model car dolly did you use and did you have a good experience or bad experience?
3. Any problems loading & unloading?
4. Did the dolly and SRX track well behind the tow vehicle?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 SRX
31 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question but the manual for my 2015 states that the car can be towed all wheels down if that's an option for you.

dingy.png

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
709 Posts
From the 2014 manual:

Dinghy Towing
Front-wheel-drive and
all-wheel-drive vehicles may be
dinghy towed from the front. These
vehicles can also be towed by
placing them on a platform trailer
with all four wheels off of the
ground. For other towing options,
see the information on dolly towing
that follows.
If 105 km/h (65 mph) is exceeded
while towing the vehicle, it could
be damaged. Never exceed
105 km/h (65 mph) while towing
the vehicle.

For vehicles being dinghy towed,
the vehicle should be run at the
beginning of each day and at each
RV fuel stop for about five minutes.
This will ensure proper lubrication of
transmission components.

Dolly Towing (All-Wheel-Drive
Vehicles)

All-wheel-drive vehicles should not
be towed with two wheels on the
ground. To properly tow these
vehicles, they should be placed on
a platform trailer with all four wheels
off of the ground or dinghy towed
from the front. See “Dinghy Towing”
earlier in this section.

Dolly Towing
(Front-Wheel-Drive Vehicles)

To tow the vehicle from the front
with the rear wheels on the ground:
1. Put the front wheels on a dolly.
2. Move the shift lever to P (Park).
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Secure the vehicle to the dolly.
5. Follow the dolly manufacturer's
instructions for preparing the
vehicle and dolly for towing.
6. Release the parking brake.

Never tow from the rear.

Thanks
Max

·
Registered
2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone
296 Posts
Interesting, setting the parking brake on FWDs lock the FRONT wheels? Now I know.

Having owned only two FWD vehicles prior to our SRX, is it common for the parking brake to operate on the front wheels? I'm pretty sure both of our previous FWD car locked the rear wheels w/ the parking brake, but then again its been 19 years since we sold the last one. For sure, the '69 Toronado parking brake locked the rear wheels, I remember using that to "drift" in the snow, or do reverse doughnuts. It was a *little* more awkward using the foot-brake than a handbrake. :D

·
Registered
2006 XLR
467 Posts
The reason to apply parking brake is to insure the vehicle does not roll off the dolly, you must release parking brake before towing. Reread post #3 dolly towing again.

Interesting, setting the parking brake on FWDs lock the FRONT wheels? Now I know.

Having owned only two FWD vehicles prior to our SRX, is it common for the parking brake to operate on the front wheels? I'm pretty sure both of our previous FWD car locked the rear wheels w/ the parking brake, but then again its been 19 years since we sold the last one. For sure, the '69 Toronado parking brake locked the rear wheels, I remember using that to "drift" in the snow, or do reverse doughnuts. It was a *little* more awkward using the foot-brake than a handbrake. :D

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is an update. I decided to bite the bullet and dinghy tow my 2010 SRX. I installed a Blue Ox tow plate myself following great video instructions available online. (note that the YouTube video was for a 2011 but the process was exactly the same for my 2010) I discovered that there are some older versions of the owner's manual that do not have the correct procedure for dinghy towing. The latest version available online from GM includes pulling 3 fuses. Only tricky part was figuring out how to lock all the doors once you pull the fuses.

My experience has been that the SRX tows easily and tracks well behind my motorhome.

·
Registered
2015 SRX
16 Posts
I purchased my 2015 SRX so I could tow behind my motorhome without the hassel of pulling fuses. Push a button under the shift plate and hook up to the Blue-Ox system, turn on my braking system and away we go. Tows wonderfully. Glad we got it.

Here is an update. I decided to bite the bullet and dinghy tow my 2010 SRX. I installed a Blue Ox tow plate myself following great video instructions available online. (note that the YouTube video was for a 2011 but the process was exactly the same for my 2010) I discovered that there are some older versions of the owner's manual that do not have the correct procedure for dinghy towing. The latest version available online from GM includes pulling 3 fuses. Only tricky part was figuring out how to lock all the doors once you pull the fuses.

My experience has been that the SRX tows easily and tracks well behind my motorhome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts