Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Okay, while i have the beast ripped open. I want to describe a sound at startup, and verify that it's the lifters.....for a couple minutes when starting the car, i would hear what I can best describe as an engine trying to roll its r's. It would intensify in volume if i turned the wheel ever so slightly, but would return to a light rolling r sound if i kept turning, or released the wheel. it would go away after a couple minutes, and I only hear it when i first start the car....someone told me lifters, but I was wondering if anything else can make this noise?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,374 Posts
Lock the engine flexplate, torque the balancer bolt to 37 lb/ft, then add an additional 120 degrees of twist to the bolt. TIGHT because the balancer sleeve (#11) drives the oil pump by friction only.

oil pump exploded.gif

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited by Moderator)
I thought about the pump, but I feel like it wouldn't only have an abrupt moment that was repeatable, then fix itself for the rest of the drive. I thought about an oil pump that was going bad as well. It definitely wasn't a loose harmonic balancer bolt, that bad-worder was on good and tight. That is useful information sub, for when I go to put her back together. What is the best way to lock the flexplate?

ah, brief research answered that question. problem is, I'm not pulling the engine out of the car, and don't have access the the flywheel.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Is there anything wrong with doing a reverse version of what I did in the video above, instead of getting the tool for the flywheel? I've seen it being used in other posts...

·
Administrator
69,374 Posts
I'd hazard a guess that the chain trick would be OK. Follow the specified torque/twist procedure.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Tomorrow is a big day for me. I'll be pulling the oil pump, setting the timing, taking the manifolds off (the back gets disconnected when the head comes off) disconnecting any more mounts attached, then pulling the actual heads. If the timing is set, can I change our the lifters when the heads are pulled off without disrupting the timing on the cams? Or do I have to mark them to make sure they are set right?

I already know the trick with the timing marks behind the timing cover, and the LI LE RI RE lined up...

·
Administrator
69,374 Posts
If you're talking about the cam (valve) covers then each takes special tools and procedures, especially the left (front) bank cover - because the metal hub for the water pump drive pulley is TIGHTLY pressed onto the intake cam extension snout. Use the wrong tools and you run the great risk of breaking the cam. There may still be a black plastic thread protector in the end of the cam snout. Torx bit.

water pump drive pulleys.gif

cam extension.gif

Removal
water pump pulley removal.gif

Replacement

water pump pulley install.gif

Pulley and tensioner (Notes).JPG

YOU NEED the correct model/year service manuals - get and use them before you ruin the engine.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm not, I won't be removing the cams to get the heads off. I'm trying to get at the shoes inside the heads, to get them out of the way of the three bolts on each head that are on the passenger side, well, two out of three in each head. I got them off, they're Allen keys, 6mm. Well actually, I got three out of 4 of them... The heater core hoses are in the way right now of the fourth one.

I'm done for the day. Wife didn't get home until a couple hours before nightfall

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
956 Posts
Chiming in late.

On 96, did mine in the car. Had to rock the cradle to install studs. Swore I would do serts the next time.

You can rock the cradle with a floor jack and set of stands. (2nd set of jacks is used to hold the frame up with wheels off).

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,816 Posts
What are these 'shoes'? Are you talking about the chain slippers, or the chain tensioners?...or something else?

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The chain slippers I guess. If you look down into the head there are two right below each cam. They have access holes in the side of the head that take an 6mm Allen key to unscrew. The one I'm having trouble with is the access hole under the hoses for the heater core

41 - 57 of 57 Posts