Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
02 ESC
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2020 XT5 with 16000 miles. It seems to shudder like it is too high a gear when going slowly. I love my new to me Caddy except for this issue. Is a reflash needed?Anyone else with this car have similar issues?

· Registered
2020 XT5 Platinum in Red Horizon Tintcoat and Maple Sugar interior
864 Posts
I recently bought a 2020 XT5 with 16000 miles. It seems to shudder like it is too high a gear when going slowly. I love my new to me Caddy except for this issue. Is a reflash needed?Anyone else with this car have similar issues?
I think I know exactly what you are talking about and it is likely in the V4 mode when it does what you describe when going slowly and your foot is barely on the accelerator. As soon as you give it the slightest amount of gas to put it back in V6 mode the shudder will stop. Look at your DIC when the 2 modes are displayed and you will see what I am talking about. It is a known issue and quite a topic on the GMC Acadia forums. I'm not sure there is an actual fix. I think it's just the design.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have the Range Technology in place in my 2017 XT5 for going on 36 months. It does the job on both start/stop and the V6/V4 joke the GM actually thinks saves you some gas. I recommend the device even though they are a little pricey. As was mentioned, you don't have to look too far to find that the cylinder shutdown can be an expensive problem when things go south. I also run a Range Technology device in my 2011 GMC Sierra 5.3 V8. With that device, I now have a true V8 and it has actually slightly increased my gas mileage in the truck.

· Registered
18 CTS 3.6 AWD / 21 XT5 Prem Lux
1,064 Posts
So if you do identify that this is just happening in V4 mode then yes, buy a AFM defeat device. But I'd recommend ONLY buying the Range device and buy it directly from Range Technologies not from Amazon to make sure you have the latest version. I use this on my 18 CTS and let me tell you it makes a world of difference not flipping to V4 mode. I can't live without it and the best $200 I've ever spent on the car. There is nothing the dealer can do to "fix" this shudder, it's a wonderful feature of AFM that nobody likes but is considered "normal".

· Registered
02 ESC
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recieved an answer to my question "does the range ra003 afm disabler work for 2020 xt5?" The answer directly from Range is NO...Now what can I do about the AFM.

· Registered
2020 XT5 Platinum in Red Horizon Tintcoat and Maple Sugar interior
864 Posts
Don't know why the Range Technologies one wouldn't work as it's the same engine. I would order it from Amazon and if it doesn't work returns are easy.

· Registered
02 ESC
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I said Range Technologies clearly stated that their unit is not supported in 2020 XT5..I'm not going to plug in something to my new to me cadillac that the manufacturer says does not work,or is not made tobe used.

· Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,668 Posts
Don't know why the Range Technologies one wouldn't work as it's the same engine. I would order it from Amazon and if it doesn't work returns are easy.
Same mechanical engine, possibly new control modules, and certainly new proprietary code running all of those control modules on newly designed Car Area Network.

Reasonable to assume GM coders are watching the after-market devices which defeat the EPA mandated systems on their vehicles to not only close holes allowing outside changes, but taking strives to make certain their vehicles remain compliant with the emission and CAFE requirements.

Analogous to IT experts watching for and intercepting hackers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts