Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Is there something wrong with this 3.6L engine? https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZyHXUx4e39j8FTB39

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

• Maybe

• Run away and take cover!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L Performance / Appearance 18" rims
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm in the market for a 2nd Gen CTS 3.6L.
Came across this 2011 CTS Coupe which looked in mint condition, but when i heard the engine it didn't sound "right" to me. It has 120K kilometers on the engine (75K Miles).

Does this sound normal to you or do you hear a potential problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
640 Posts
Which noise doesn't sound right to you? The ticking sounds like normal high-pressure DI fuel injection to me. There's also a bit of a background hum/growl that could be a bearing going bad? Alternator, power steering pump, water pump...

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,823 Posts
Direct Injection noise. Was the fan whirring in the background. Sure was dirty - how are the air and cabin filters? That can tell you about the maintenance/care given.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,184 Posts
+ on the "DI tic". Completely normal.
If you picked up on something else, please specify.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L Performance / Appearance 18" rims
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which noise doesn't sound right to you? The ticking sounds like normal high-pressure DI fuel injection to me. There's also a bit of a background hum/growl that could be a bearing going bad? Alternator, power steering pump, water pump...
Hi guys,
True my own CTS has a ticking sound that's similar, so I'm ok with that if it's DI injector spund. I was more concerned about the "tinny" or "pingy" sound it was making, that my CTS doesn't sound like (nor a 2012 I checked out a few days ago).

I'll have to more accurately describes the sound that irked me, or maybe I will share some other clips for comparison.

Stay tuned
Thank you!

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
640 Posts
Listened to it again, sounds like a loose heat shield.

·
Registered
2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L FE5
196 Posts
When you moved to the back passenger side of the engine I heard a tick that I have never heard on mine. It sounded like a snapping sound almost like a spark plug wire arching to ground. I doubt it's an electrical arch but definitely not something I have heard before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts