Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette GS
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a little noise out of the cam pulley area and a friend of mine (good mechanic) says it is just pressed on and there is no bearing on it, any noise you might be hearing is the tensioner or belt. If the pulley is good do not change it, it will make no difference. Here is the cam pulley, although old it is not damaged. So I'm thinking just change the tensioner and belt as it is inexpensive.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I just bought this from Gates for $30 and the belt for $10. This will be acceptable?

Automotive tire Camera accessory Wheel Font Cameras & optics

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
look at rock auto, i think they make a complete kit, idler, tensioner and belt - if they sell it as a kit then its a good bet you should do the idler and tensioner as tensioners can bind up and not provide the correct tension as the belt stretches, i did mine it was quite reasonably priced
Then what did I buy? Isn't that piece the idler and tensioner? If not what is it lacking?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh the idler pulley. Now I see that. Where does it go, it must be under the tensioner? Wait that's on the other side of the motor. Your just confusing me now. One thing at a time.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
One drive (cam) pulley, one tensioner pulley, one water pump pulley..........
Ok now I see. On the part that I bought it is the complete assembly but you can just buy the pulley and put in on the original piece? Either way you have to take the whole assembly out to change just the pulley? BTW you mention 3 pulleys? What am I missing here?

Product Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Electronic device

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can leave the tensioner itself in place ................
Thanks Sub, that sounds pretty easy with leaving the tensioner in place. I'll just return the whole tensioner assembly and buy just the pulley even thou it is basically the same cost. I paid $30 for the whole Gates assembly, just the pulley it seems is $26 from my limited browsing so far.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just outside looking at the car, I don't see any way to put a new belt on if you just take the pulley off leaving the assembly in place.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is no way to change the belt without changing the assembly so buying just the pulley and doing it in place is out. Keeping the whole assembly and changing it out with the new belt.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:
So I changed out the whole assembly and the old pulley was shot. It was extremely rough to turn and it felt like it was full of grit. The new one was of course butter smooth turning and all noises went away. Easy to do maybe 15 minutes.

Hand Automotive tire Computer keyboard Peripheral Finger

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The pulley is good for 50,000 - 75,000 miles SAFELY. Plenty of insurance mileage left then. The Kevlar-backed belt is, barring seized pulley damage, forever.
That's good to know because although I bought a new belt also, I did not change it. Even with the assembly out it looked like a pain in the ass to thread it thru to the water pump pulley so I left the original in, or it seems like the original. I thought I ordered a Gates belt but they sent me this for the $10 bucks. I'll keep it as a spare.

Wood Font Road surface Asphalt Electric blue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts