Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CT6-V, 2014 CTS V-Sport Premium /04 SLS / 06 STS-V LC3/14 Chevy SS/ 08 Dodge Magnum RT
136 Posts
I was curious as to if the V-sports had active fuel management?
Nope no AFM. And I am glad. Wish my CT6-V did not have it. They seem to be installing it on all the new cars, even the newest V series Blackwing models have it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nope no AFM. And I am glad. Wish my CT6-V did not have it. They seem to be installing it on all the new cars, even the newest V series Blackwing models have it.
Why are you glad??? What does it do that's the disadvantage with AFM so I can avoid it?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport Premium
131 Posts
It's "displacement on demand". Engines with this feature (typically modern V8's but now seen in some V-6's) will "shut off" opposing cylinders while cruising which effectively turns your V-8 into a 4-cylinder.
It started with the Cadillac Northstar engine which would stop fuel delivery to certain cylinders if your engine started to overheat. The idea being that the air being cycled through the cylinders (with the lack of fuel detonation) would help cool the engine. It's a bit before my time but I seem to think this was a colossal failure.
It later evolved into a fuel economy thing with Chrysler Hemi engines which use an already wildly inefficient engine design.
I had an Impala SS with the 5.3L V-8 and it was terrible. The engine would vibrate while cruising in 4-cylinder mode and when I stomped on it accelerate, the system would hesitate for a second or two before it took off.
Current generations are much better but I still have my hate for the concept.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had a 08 Tahoe with the 5.3 that started having issues and a 13 Escalade that ate a lifter and cam because of it. Glad these cars don’t have it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's "displacement on demand". Engines with this feature (typically modern V8's but now seen in some V-6's) will "shut off" opposing cylinders while cruising which effectively turns your V-8 into a 4-cylinder.
It started with the Cadillac Northstar engine which would stop fuel delivery to certain cylinders if your engine started to overheat. The idea being that the air being cycled through the cylinders (with the lack of fuel detonation) would help cool the engine. It's a bit before my time but I seem to think this was a colossal failure.
It later evolved into a fuel economy thing with Chrysler Hemi engines which use an already wildly inefficient engine design.
I had an Impala SS with the 5.3L V-8 and it was terrible. The engine would vibrate while cruising in 4-cylinder mode and when I stomped on it accelerate, the system would hesitate for a second or two before it took off.
Current generations are much better but I still have my hate for the concept.
Ahhhhh... thee ole V8-6-4 from 1981 with the mechanical Eaton valve train. I know the newer ones are more sophisticated, but the same ole crap. I did not know the CT6-V had that. Does it also have the dreaded "Start/Stop" crap? I wonder if it can be defeated with a tune like they do the start/stop??
Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ahhhhh... thee ole V8-6-4 from 1981 with the mechanical Eaton valve train. I know the newer ones are more sophisticated, but the same ole crap. I did not know the CT6-V had that. Does it also have the dreaded "Start/Stop" crap? I wonder if it can be defeated with a tune like they do the start/stop??
Thanks for the explanation!
Yes. I would like to know this as well. My girlfriend's Lexus can turn the Start/Stop BS off but I've seen some cars where you're forced to deal with it. I found that making sure that your foot is pretty ginger on the brake as the car comes to a complete stop tends to fool some of these systems into keeping the engine running.

·
Registered
2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon*Luxury 2016 CTS V-Sport Premium
2,873 Posts
your 2014 has it???...my 2016 does not seem to have start stop or Active Fuel Management...

Bill

·
Registered
131 Posts
No. None of the CTS VSports have either to the best of my knowledge. My girlfriend's Lexus SUV has both and I've had AFM (or equivalent) in several cars in the past.
2004 Chrysler 300C, 2007 Impala SS, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT

·
Registered
2016 CTS VSport
412 Posts
My '18 hemi RAM has it, sure sucks around town. Feels like the converter locking/unlocking when switching modes. And then there's the exhaust note...

Russ

·
Registered
2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon*Luxury 2016 CTS V-Sport Premium
2,873 Posts
thanks...

Bill

·
Registered
2020 CT6-V, 2014 CTS V-Sport Premium /04 SLS / 06 STS-V LC3/14 Chevy SS/ 08 Dodge Magnum RT
136 Posts
Thanks for the explanation
Yes my CT6 also has "Start/Stop" but It has an easy button to push to disable it. No button to disable the AFM. However it does not seem to activate very much, and it is super smooth and I can not feel it engaging ( I only know when I see the activation light in the dash).

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,271 Posts
No AFM nor auto S/S in any year Vsport. It was such a marvelous car. Not sure what Caddy was thinking when they neutered it with the CT5V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts