Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I believe '05 and up Northstars don't come with the cable .Your car comes with the wire

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Depends on what car.
The RWD cars have been drive by wire since '04.
The FWD models got it for '06 and up. (maybe '05, I never noticed)
At least that is the way I remember it.

I know it is not a N* but Escalade got drive by wire in '02.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
My '02 STS has a cable from the pedal which operates the throttlebody butterfly and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) I block the pedal to the floor when messing around the butterfly with throttlebody cleaner.....

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
This may sound like a silly ass question, but what the hell is the difference between a throttle cable and a throttle wire ?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
Throttle "wire" is an electrical link from the pedal to the TB as opposed to a mechanical cable link. Not exactly sure how it works, but I would envision a pedal position sensor that relays the info to a throttle position actuator. Not sure what the advantage is other than maybe the elimination of a cruise control module and cable. Maybe Ewill can enlighten us.

S

·
0 Posts
Ranger, I would guess you get a few advantages...Drive by wire reduces physical mechanical parts (that can wear out/need adjustment). You get more precise, digital control of the throttle. It integrates much better with onboard computers and more sophisticated cruise control systems. Essentially, it is just the natural advancement of auto tech. That's my best guess, at least! :)

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Personally I like the cable link better. Throttle by wire seems like it's just adding complexity to a simple mechanism. Plus the old fashioned throttle cable is much less likely to f-up while your driving.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Using drive by wire has some real advantages from an engineering standpoint.

First of all "Drive by Wire" is basically as Ranger described.
The gas pedal is replaced with an APP or Accelerator Pedal Position sensor. The APP has 3 sensors in it that all function in slightly different ways so the computer can accurately measure the position and rate of change of the throttle input. The computer uses that information to control the TAC or Throttle Actuator Control. Feedback from the TAC comes back from two TP or Throttle Positions sensors.
The first systems used a separate TAC module but over the years our on board computers have become more powerful and now instead of using data from the ECM to tell the TAC module what to do, the ECM handles all the chores itself.

I know some of this sucks from a user point of view, but it allows engineers to better control vehicle emissions because they can use your input and let the computer do what it knows will work the best instead of taking what you do and trying to adjust everything else to work with it. It also helps keep people from abusing the engine and transmission to a degree. Most of these, if not all have "abuse modes" built into them.
If you power brake it for too long and it sees the transmission overheating, for example, it will back off the throttle automatically.

I am not sure of the weight difference between the necessary wires and a module, but I think there is a slight reduction in weight vs. a cable system.
The throttle cable is actually a cable that connects to the pedal and goes to the throttle to give you direct control over the throttle opening.
I didn't really have a problem with cable systems but it does add problems that you might not think about.
It limits what they can do in the engine compartment because they have to get a cable from the gas pedal to the throttle. It also creates and additional hole in the "firewall" and I am sure it adds to the cost of production. Also the cable can transfer noise and vibration directly from the engine into the passenger compartment creating concerns that people may not like.

I don't specifically know why they think this is such a great idea, but I know that I can't think of a Cadillac vehicle that still has a throttle cable.
The systems are pretty reliable so far. Even if one of the sensors fail it can still keep you going on the remaining ones, just with less accuracy.
It does put you underneath another electronic control system.
I don't have a problem with it.
It works better than all the cables and linkages you used to have to connect to a carbuerator.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
Thank you all for the most erudite replies...it just seems odd that it's called "drive-by-wire" when there ain't no wire...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Actually there are several wires.
There are about 6 wires from the APP to the computer, whether it is the ECM or a TAC module.
Then you have the wires from the TAC module to the ECM, and the wires from the ECM or the TAC module to the throttle body.
Also I think I mentioned there are 2 integrated throttle position sensors in the TP which needs at least 4 more wires.
Take a look at this schematic for an '07 Escalade.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts