Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Does the Corvette have Piston Slap issues?

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  PreachRR 
#1 ·
Just curious since the engines are somewhat similar.

#4 ·
MANY GM cars, even some of the 4 and 6 cyl engines have the piston slap issue, and yes that includes the Corvette. I wish I could find the forum and the thread again but there was actually one guy TRYING to sell his '02 (I think) that had piston slap so bad he was trying to figure out how to cover it up during the sale... keeping it warm etc. because even though it was completely normal, it was putting people off of buying his car every time they heard it.

The first '07 Lade we had before they replaced it due to a transmission issue, had piston slap so bad it would happen even when you let it cool off for just an hour or two. It was really terrible, but ironically that truck actually seemed to get slightly better fuel economy than the replacement, which is pretty damn quiet.

Neither our 2000 Expedition, or Dodge Ram have EVER had piston slap even in the COLDEST of temperatures.

#6 ·
Go to www.corvetteforum.com and click on C6 Gereral Discussion. I have been there for years and never heard anything about piston slap. I've had 6 Corvettes and different other GMs and never experienced piston slap. I have heard the injectors ticking. I do live in Florida so we don't have the cold temps that seem to be somewhat related to the piston slap. I hope I don't get it with my Esclade.
When I get time I'll go to the forum and do a search.
BTW-- it sure would be nice if this forum was set up the way the Corvette forum is. They have a great site. GM reps monitor it and also step in to fix problems with dealers and cars
The most talked about issue on the Corvette site is terriable service and lack of knowledge fron the service department when it comes to repairs. Some dealers damage the cars just by lifting them wrong and can't even seem to be able to change the oil without screwing it up.

#11 ·
I tend to agree with this statement. Not that I approve any of the engines having it, though.

Then again, I guess I've been lucky that none of the GM cars and trucks (4 LS1 F-bodies, 4.8 and 5.3 trucks and now the Escalade), I've owned in the last 10 years have had any signs of piston slap whatsoever.

And the Escalade doesn't even have the wind noise issue so many people seem to be complaining about.

***knocks on wood***

#13 ·
I currently own 2 Corvettes (02,05), an Escalade (08) and a Yukon (03). My 2002 Corvette and 2003 Yukon does not have any slap at all but my 2008 Escalade has it a little bit when cold and the 2005 Corvette is the loudest. It is a normal thing for these LS style engines and anyone familiar with them accepts it. I have over 200K on the Yukon and never had any drivetrain/engine related failures. (knock on wood) My 2002 Corvette is pushing 648 RWHP with twin turbos running a stock short block with 50K and zero issues. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the slapping noise, while annoying to most, does not harm anything beside your pride when you start up your $75K Escalade. lol

#14 ·
I was told that this was inherent in the design. This gives the piston room to expand when the engine warms up. I have seen a lot of complaints about piston slap but I can't say I have read any failures due to it. Eh.. I used to ride motorcycles and I never heard a ducati that didn't sound like it needed a trip tot the shop.. But people still rode them proudly. So for me it is what it is and there is a warranty to keep me not worrying about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.