Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me preface this with the fact that I retrofitted my heated steering wheel into my 2017 ATS using a brand new OEM wheel that was shipped to me directly from GM. Appropriate new OEM clockspring was swapped in to power said heated wheel as well. Angle sensor relearn done by dealer after the matter.

So my heated wheel works. It gets hot but then the heat tapers off quite fast. It gets hot for say 5-8mins then tapers off to kinda warm then barely warm. Is this typical behavior in these cars?

I've had a bunch of loaner Cadillacs(not an ATS though) and the heated steering gets hot and stays hot for a solid 20+mins. Mine does not...

Why would my wheel get reasonably hot and then taper the heat off quite quickly? Is there a BCM setting that needs to be changed?

Related Question:
Can a retrofitted heated steering wheel be setup to turn on with heated seats when remote started? I know they do when equipped by the factory and that there is a CUE setting for it(which I have enabled in CUE), yet my heated wheel will only trigger with a manual button press.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
697 Posts
I think my wheel is pretty steady, heat-wise. Once it's warm I think it keeps that temperature until I turn it off (usually for about an hour until I get to work). I do have a cold spot. The leather seam at the 7 o'clock position doesn't heat up at all. I actually had the wheel replaced under warranty specifically for that (well, specifically because I wanted a fresh wheel, but that too) and the new wheel does the exact same thing. Their test wheel and all the loaners I drove worked fine. What are the odds?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
281 Posts
Like Sergio526, my steering wheel also heats up then remains steady. It also has a 'cool' spot at the leather seam around 7 o'clock. I'd say yours is faulty.😟

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T
108 Posts
Ok, a few points:
1) my wheel heats up and seems to stay consistently warm indefinitely. HOWEVER, it never gets nearly as hot as my wife's Grand Caravan. That one gets scorching so after about 10 minutes I usually turn it right off. The Caddy's wheel doesn't get nearly as hot, but stays a nice lukewarm the whole time it's on.
2) My heated wheel (factory install) does not come on with the heated seats either. It's a huge flaw that Cadillac has in their system. My wife's van puts the heated wheel & heated seats on together when using the remote start. Not only that, it only turns them on if it senses the temp is below freezing when the remote start is used. Very nice. I've got the Lux model, so no idea if the Premium or Sport have the wheel come on automatically with the seats when using remote start, but if they do, I'll be pissed that they intentionally screwed over the Lux owners.
3) I haven't noticed a cool spot at 7 o'clock but now I'll have to check. I only notice that the inside seam all around the wheel doesn't get warm, only the outside (which makes sense, that's where your hands are).

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,641 Posts
Ok, on edit it sounds like your wheel is probably working as intended and I can't imagine wanting the wheel to get hotter than it does in my ATS and GMC Sierra. The heated wheel doesn't come on automatically with remote start, it doesn't bother me because I don't use the heated wheel very often.

Rodger

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
580 Posts
My heated wheel gets hot and stays until I turn the car off. I will be losing that feature when I swap to a flat bottom wheel, but it will look so cool I think it'll be okay haha. Plus I usually don't drive my ATS in winter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Doozer used the term "lukewarm". I think that is pretty spot on. It gets hot, like a nice heating pad feeling, then tapers down to lukewarm after 5-8ish mins of hot. The XT4, 5, & 6 I've had as loaners keep the wheel HOT for the duration that the heat is activated. I was expecting something more along those lines with my ATS.

I have some damage in one of my hands. I really enjoy the hot/heating pad feeling that other cars seem to hold longer on my damaged hand. This is why lukewarm is quite disappointing. Still, it's great for 5-10 mins and it does take the chill off the wheel, just not what I expected based on my experience in other cars (non-Cadillacs as well).

I guess mine works as it's suppose too. Truly appreciate the input folks.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
580 Posts
I'm not super wise on the electronics end, but maybe the relay being used for the heated wheel circuit is not high enough voltage/amperage? And it is regulating a less strong current after a certain voltage level is reached? Just throwing that out there, I don't know if that's even possible in the ATS wiring. But it's all I can think of for a possible reason...

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,200 Posts
My 2018 heated wheel get hot quickly. I turn it off after about a minute, so I don't know if
it shuts off itself, like the heated seats.

IMO the heated seats/wheel comes on around 50° or so and sometimes they aren't needed,
especially if the sun is out. It would be great if CUE would let us set a temp we want it to
come on at. Some might like 70, others 40.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T 6MT
434 Posts
I just retrofitted a heated wheel in the wife's Cruze... If memory serves OE wiring is 18ga TLX on a 7.5 amp fuse on that application so not a major requirement.

FSM has procedure for testing surface temp of wheel with IR gun to diagnose heated seats/wheels. I can look it up later unless someone beats me to it (really guys, get AllData). Are you sure your hands aren't just getting warm? :p Mine seem to hit a temp and stay.

I swapped my wheel over to an ebay purchased sedan fat wheel (6MT may only come with skinny wheel b/c no paddles) and noticed the fat wheel takes a little longer to heat and doesn't get quite as hot as the skinny wheel. Also, neither of my wheels or my seats heat ad quickly or get nearly as warm as those in the cruze (heaters in cloth seats seam to work better across the board tho)

Ultimately with enough relays, anything is possible

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, I'm sure it's not my hands getting use to the temp.

I've done this while driving primarily one handed so I can use my other hand to gauge temp as time goes by. It definitely gets to a decently hot temp then tapers off to a sort of like warm.

Guess I just expected more than what this wheel provides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts