Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Caddy EXT
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 2009 EXT, I'm curious to see if any came with magnetic ride . I would hate to give up rainsense,for some reason it is one of my favorite options . Unless of course someone has figured out a way to put rainsense on the 2010 .

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat
354 Posts
I'm also looking at a 2009 EXT. Magnetic Ride (Z95) is included in a "V8 Ultra Luxury Collection" package (PDW) which also has Intellibeam headlights, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, sunroof, 7 spoke chromed aluminum wheels and a couple other items. If you have all those other options you likely have magnetic ride but to be sure I'm having the dealer get into the system and print the original window sticker so I can review the codes. Maybe someone can tell us how much difference not having Magnetic Ride makes in ride quality. All I know is that the newer EXT's that have it ride very nice. I'm test driving the '09 today or tomorrow.

I have Rain Sense on my SRX and can't believe it's been deleted on the 2010 and newer Escalades. One of management's dumber moves.

·
Registered
2011 ESCALADE ESV
75 Posts
I never had a vechicle with rain sensing wipers but I use Rain X and tend to never use the wipers ( a Corvette thing ). I live in FL. One of my best friends is a Cadillac / GMC dealer and said one of his Caddy customers bought a Danali to save some money. The guy was back a week later trading it on another ESV claiming the ride in the Danali couldn't compare with the Caddys magnetic ride. This is why I bought the Caddy.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I'm also looking at a 2009 EXT. Magnetic Ride (Z95) is included in a "V8 Ultra Luxury Collection" package (PDW) which also has Intellibeam headlights, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, sunroof, 7 spoke chromed aluminum wheels and a couple other items. If you have all those other options you likely have magnetic ride but to be sure I'm having the dealer get into the system and print the original window sticker so I can review the codes. Maybe someone can tell us how much difference not having Magnetic Ride makes in ride quality. All I know is that the newer EXT's that have it ride very nice. I'm test driving the '09 today or tomorrow.

I have Rain Sense on my SRX and can't believe it's been deleted on the 2010 and newer Escalades. One of management's dumber moves.
Huge difference in ride when comparing mag ride to non mag ride, I have had (4) Escalade's without mag ride, and (3) with mag ride, the ride is much smoother with the mag shocks, if you never had both you have nothing to compare it to, don't get me wrong the standard ride is pretty good with 22's, and you are in Zona so you could run 30" wheels because your roads are good, but in the northeast the roads suck, and the mag ride is a smoother ride than without. I know this means nothing to you but where we switch wheels and tires for the winter, running 18's with mag ride gives you such a nice ride no matter how bad the roads are, I look forward to switching all 3 trucks over to 18" wheels in the winter. ;)

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
That is an under statement, they took the best option off the truck, I am sure it was a $ thing, this way they can give the workers at GM a bonus instead of paying back the taxpayers. :(

·
Registered
Caddy EXT
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rain X used to be what I would use , unfortunately it "wears out". During bad weather rainsense keeps your attention on the road not fussing w/ setting the wipers .

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat
354 Posts
Huge difference in ride when comparing mag ride to non mag ride, I have had (4) Escalade's without mag ride, and (3) with mag ride, the ride is much smoother with the mag shocks, if you never had both you have nothing to compare it to, don't get me wrong the standard ride is pretty good with 22's, and you are in Zona so you could run 30" wheels because your roads are good, but in the northeast the roads suck, and the mag ride is a smoother ride than without. I know this means nothing to you but where we switch wheels and tires for the winter, running 18's with mag ride gives you such a nice ride no matter how bad the roads are, I look forward to switching all 3 trucks over to 18" wheels in the winter. ;)
I grew up in northern Ohio so I know all about nasty weather and sh**ty roads. But you are correct Arizona roads are very good by comparison. I thought my SRX with 20's had a smooth ride but I think the '09 EXT mag ride with 22's is even smoother.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I grew up in northern Ohio so I know all about nasty weather and sh**ty roads. But you are correct Arizona roads are very good by comparison. I thought my SRX with 20's had a smooth ride but I think the '09 EXT mag ride with 22's is even smoother.
I was just in Zona golfing, and my friend picked me up from Deer Valley airport in an Escalade with 28's (he was trying to impress me because he knows I am in the wheel business) and it felt like I was in a limo the ride was so smooth, because your roads are VERY GOOD. :)

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
What exactly is magnetic ride and how do you know if you have it?
If you have a 2009, 2010 or 2011 with stock 22's you probably have magnetic ride, if your model is the "Luxury Collection" you have magnetic ride, if you have any platinum model 2008 and up you have magnetic ride. :)

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt
365 Posts
I put a complete magnetic ride system on a 2007 and the ride difference was unbelievable. I then put 24's and dropped it three inches with a GF spindle spring kit and it still rides and handles better than my stock 2008 with 22's. But replacement shocks are pricy....look for rpo code in glove box before you purchase because some dealers put 22's on 18" equipped vehicles to improve the looks and you could be shortchanged.

·
Registered
Caddy EXT
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking of doing the magnetic ride swap like you have (Mod/Water King) lol but finding the parts , wiring etc. are quite a task and it seems simpler to buy a truck with it already . Have you ever determined a way to see if it actually is working beside the ride ?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt
365 Posts
I was thinking of doing the magnetic ride swap like you have (Mod/Water King) lol but finding the parts , wiring etc. are quite a task and it seems simpler to buy a truck with it already . Have you ever determined a way to see if it actually is working beside the ride ?
Unfortunately, I have not had the time to put a scope on it and check the pulses/responses sent to the shocks. Since I still own a stock (well almost) 2008 and the 2007 was stock when I started, and I drive the same roads, I think I can make at least make the accurate comparison that the RIDE AND HANDLING is much better with magnetic ride on my 2007 even when hampered with 305/45/24R wheels/tires (100lbs each, 34.5 diameter). If I had it to do over, I would buy an used 2009 properly equipped to start with (I love rainsense, OEM bluetooth). I am not yet willing to see how to retrofit rainsense to a later model. I already installed the OEM bluetooth out of a 2009 CTS in the 2007 which works great. 2010's also had the addition of the lower side airbags which change the side panel making it harder to use the side pockets and adjust the seats. I also want the freedom to make any changes I want without worrying about warranty issues. A high mileage 2009 at significantly reduced price would have been great and that is what I should have held out for...then I could have justified and installed a CTS LSA engine and auto tranny. I am drooling that the new Camaro's will be offered with the LSA - they will start showing up much sooner in the wrecking yards than the CTS V's do. IMHO, the LSA should be just about a perfect match for the EXT in terms of power with economy. That is my last major project for the 2007. Get those Camaro's on the roads. Of course, That is assuming the Mag ride system I put on the 2007 is working properly.....irregardless it is better than before.

·
Registered
2001 DTS,2007 STS V8
602 Posts
07 did not have mag ride as an option. I was contemplating on doing the mag ride conversion, but I have to pull apart my rear diff for a bearing noise issue. May just buy a low mileage rear and swap it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts