Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently purchased a 2006 Cadillac CTS base with the 2.8 and an automatic transmission. After reading on here I am worried. It has 89,000 Km's 55,000 miles.

Is this issue inevitable?

Once fixed with current new parts, is the issue solved?

Is there a external trans cooler that is commonly used? Brand, model number?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
Yep, same risk of timing chain failure - Now, that being said if it doesn't use oil you're OK, it's the oil consumption that causes the timing chain failure. The tensioners are driven by oil pressure, low oil causes them to loosen causing chain slack, then the problem starts.

And no, just because the chains get replaced doesn't mean it can't happen again, if the engine continues to use oil you're back in the same boat at some point.

If you're using oil look into the PCV orifice mod, it's been covered here many times.

As far as the trans cooler, many members opt to do that as the stock lines love to randomly snap off - Not sure on which is most commonly used though.

BTW :welcome:

Good luck with your CTS - I loved mine but had to dump it due to some serious chain rattle on cold starts, the problem was starting, I avoided it by trading it in. I even kept up on the oil religiously, guessing the PO didn't....

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
I have been following you're post and have a few questions.
1. Have you ever let the oil run low?
2. Have you ever heard start up rattle from the front of the engine?

If yes to any of these before you scrap you're car I would do 2 things.
First drain the oil and fill it with FULL SYNTHETIC and oil filter.
Take it to the dealer or tow if it is running that bad and for $70 tow and $80 diagnostic from the dealer you will have peace of mind that yes the chain or chains have jumped and screwed up you're timing or something else that the dealer might be able to fix for you like a bad ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts