Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS, 2004 STS, 2006 STS AWD
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a leaking rad, lol let the problems continue. need to order a replacement but i dont know what to look for . there are options for w-w/o oil/trans cooler.... help?

----------

2000 sts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There are 2 lines connected to the drivers side radiator end tank, these are trans cooler lines. If there are similar lines on the passenger side, you have an oil cooler.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Re: how to tell if my 2000 sts has an oil cooler or trans cool;er built into the rad?

............. and if you have the HD cooling option (engine oil cooler) your RPO sticker will have code V03.

A replacement radiator, fitted with the engine oil cooler tank inside the passenger end tank, has a bit less coolant capacity than a radiator with NO heat exchanger in the passenger tank.

99.999% of these cars do NOT have HD cooling - that would have been optioned by a buyer wanting trailer tow capability. "Hi, Joe. Get out the black book and let's build me a 2000 STS ! I don't care how long I have to wait.".

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, has fittings on driver and passenger side. Im done with this car, im going to sell or Scrap it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw, in total this rad has 6 lines on it by the look of it, 2 big coolant hoses, 2 smaller hoses and 2 metal/rubber hoses. This car is no longer worth it to me to fix, 230000kms on it and its leaking oil at the valve covers aswell

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Oh, being an '00, it might have the water cooled alternator as well. I don't think those lines go directly to the radiator though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No idea, but a rad for this on top of everything else ive replaced, just adding up. Time to take tis car off life support.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Re: how to tell if my 2000 sts has an oil cooler or trans cool;er built into the rad?

............. and if you have the HD cooling option (engine oil cooler) your RPO sticker will have code V03.

A replacement radiator, fitted with the engine oil cooler tank inside the passenger end tank, has a bit less coolant capacity than a radiator with NO heat exchanger in the passenger tank.

99.999% of these cars do NOT have HD cooling - that would have been optioned by a buyer wanting trailer tow capability.".[/I]
Actually, far more than 0.001% had the HD cooling and the oil cooler as it was included on the Z-rated tire equipped STS from 98-2000, mostly Canadian cars and then also with a towing package in other years, I bellive on both STS and SLS. Export STSs had the extra cooler as standard from 1998-04. And yes, it does make it a pain to change that radiator.

·
Administrator
68,504 Posts

Whip me, beat me. :sneaky:

(Some export SLS also had V03)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts

Ask and ye shall receive :abuse: :punch:

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts

Whip me, beat me. :sneaky:

(Export SLS also had V03)
Actually, not according to the last one I VIN decoded. Strangely they have Z rated tires, but no oil cooler. I believe this to be because with the taller 3.11 gearing in the trans, the car cannot get up to high enough speed or RPM to heat up and put the load on the oil to necessitate a cooler. Whip, whip!! LOL.

For your reference Mr. Sub: 1G6KS54Y4XU915925

Me thinks the towing package did include the HD cooling as figures show there was more V03 optioned cars than QDC, Z-rated cars built. Then again, the Z-rated tires for export cars was a different RPO code for the different spec, export tires...forgot the code (QVG?). Maybe I need to redo my math on the V03 to include the export numbers. That could be the discrepancy as I don't recall seeing an actual towing package listed in a brochure.

·
Administrator
68,504 Posts

We have a European member with a late SLS equipped with V03. Germany. High speed Autobahn commuter.

This pissing contest is yet another indication of just how different any particular model/year group of these FWD Northstar cars can be. Given the RPO dealer floorplanning packages (at least 3 for U.S. destined models) and special ordering capabilities for an individual vehicle, I'm not surprised at ANY oddball RPO combination any more.

My late 2002 F55 STS model came in at least 3 RPO package versions, and that doesn't include my particular car, which was specified and ordered by the original owner and includes/deletes at least 5 RPOs from those packages.

----------

Submariner409;139017(Some export SLS also had V03)[/QUOTE said:

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts

No pissing contest here Sub, just silly info swapping on our cars. You are likely right though, as I've yet to decode any later model export SLS cars. No real suprises anymore. What are the specifics on your STS? Deleted RPOs? Sounds kind of like my strangely optioned 2002.5 STS.

Sure is interesting to compare an RPO sheet between an export and non-export car. Lots of different requirements to build these cars for export. Differences include, lighting, radios, window glass, headlight washers,power folding mirrors, bumpers, tires, extra rust and paint protection, emissions, etc...

·
Administrator
68,504 Posts

You ever see a Japanese STS with power folding mirrors ? Button on driver's door panel - press, fold back - press, fold out. Just the ticket for those 140+ mph runs.

1G6KY54992U228889

Attachments

·
Registered
Allante 1989 export running on LPG
57 Posts

My Export has power folding mirrors, Is that feature not on the US cars?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts

My Export has power folding mirrors, Is that feature not on the US cars?
=========================
Is that feature not on the US cars?
YES - that feature is not available on US cars -

neither are rear fog lights - nor side marker turn signal lights -

·
Registered
Allante 1989 export running on LPG
57 Posts

I have not had a chance to compare my car to a US car. I didn't know about the power folding mirrors.

·
Administrator
68,504 Posts

Under the spare tire cover there is a sticker with many 3-character codes on it - the Regular Production Option (RPO) codes. They tell you what is built into THAT car. use an online site to decipher the codes - Google "1999 cadillac regular production option codes" or something close.

Post # 15

You will probably discover that not all EXPORT models/years/vehicles had the same options packages. The strut tower brace and (maybe) folding mirrors was primarily in the Japanese market.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts