Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to start my 1990 Eldorado, I get the message "Starting disabled" & then I get "Wait 3 minutes". I did a search (on Cadillacforums.com) and it appears that I need a new ignition lock cylinder. It used to do this once, but now, it's giving me this message 1-5 times before I can start it & it's driving me crazy! (Pun intended!)

Could anyone out there give me advice on whether it's definitely something I need to replace or what? I inherited this beauty from my Mother & being an uneducated, NON-mechanic, I need help, help, HELP!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,802 Posts
Welcome Aboard !!! :highfive:

Those messages - for later models anyway - sometimes point to a security problem: The car shuts itself down when something trips the sound system ThefLock, the content theft system or attempts at jumping the ignition.

Beyond that, someone with that Eldorado year will have to chime in.

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado Biarritz 4.9, 1988 Eldorado 4.5,
7 Posts
yes sir. i have seen it a many of times. theres two wires that run along the side of the lock cylinder that read the ohms in your chip. the wires have likely broken after so long from turning the switch. i bypassed mine by matching the resistance from the key, to a resistor from radio shack and attached it to the two white wires covered in orange sheathing under the dash coming from the steering column orangewire.jpg

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I'll see if my mechanic can fix this up! What type/size/voltage resistor do I need? Or is it dependent on my Cadi year (1990 Eldorado)? I really know nothing about cars! I can fill my tires & put oil & washer fluid in it, but that's about it! I'm seriously grateful for ANY help you can give me!

(And, BTW, please don't laugh @ my lack of knowledge regarding resistors! Do they even have a voltage? heehee!)

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If you have another ignition key you can try that one, possible the pellet is flaky bit more than likely wires are bad in column as others said. You have to measure your key pellet resistance to find out what you need. You will need to solder a fee connections and will need a volt meter at a minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts