Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to lower my car....would that give me faster speed in the top end??? If so at what speed do you think it starts to kick in at?? I was just wondering.....
 

·
Registered
None
Joined
·
987 Posts
The only effect it could possibly have would be a lower drag coefficent, but it would be so negligable as to be non-existant.

Don't listen to thoose honda accord kids, slammin your car will not speed it up!
 

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
What they said. Lowering your car will give you about as much of a speed increase as a spoiler and some decals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Mbai2 said:
What they said. Lowering your car will give you about as much of a speed increase as a spoiler and some decals.
I hear that black vinyl decals will add 10hp.....true story.:histeric:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I also thought that adding a 3 foot wing on the back of Honda pushing 90 horsepower would instantly make it run 10's in the quarter mile. :hmm:
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
In all seriousness.. When you reduce the height of the car it does become more aero. When you reduce the amount of air traveling underneath the car it becomes more aero. That's why NASCAR drivers spend so much time in the wind tunnels. But with that said these guys approach speeds close to 200mph. So will it be faster? Yes but probably not measurable . For that matter so does tire width and air pressure. If you're after aero you don't want the V grill or bumper as they have more frontal area. The two large V grills trap way to much air. Back to NASCAR, when they do their qualifing runs they completely tape up their grills for aero. For 2 laps around the track the engine heat doesn't go critical.
Spoilers? Sure they work. But most of the aftermarket stuff is glitz and looks. Look at Team Cadillac's spoiler(wing)
Must'nt forget weight. Less weight makes you faster. NASCAR: no passenger or rear seats. Amps and woofers are really heavy. Spare tire has gotta go! Just being silly but all of these things do add up.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the information!!! Was just pondering it. I am nervous to lower my car...because everyday coming into work i have to go over a dip, which scares me if i were to lower the car. But when I look at it from the side i want to sooooo bad. I just dont know whether I want to or not. Dont want to screw up my front.
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
jonnyd said:
thanks for the information!!! Was just pondering it. I am nervous to lower my car...because everyday coming into work i have to go over a dip, which scares me if i were to lower the car. But when I look at it from the side i want to sooooo bad. I just dont know whether I want to or not. Dont want to screw up my front.
Ground clearance is an issue. Turning into driveways can be a problem also.
If you like the looks you just need to slow down for the dips & bumps.
 

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
jonnyd said:
thanks for the information!!! Was just pondering it. I am nervous to lower my car...because everyday coming into work i have to go over a dip, which scares me if i were to lower the car. But when I look at it from the side i want to sooooo bad. I just dont know whether I want to or not. Dont want to screw up my front.
I would say go for it. I live in Detroit which probably has some of the worst roads around and as long as you read the terrain correctly, you'll have no problems. The good thing about the CTS is that the front wheels are place close to the front of the car so the risk of scraping on a dip or a hill is low. I've gone over relatively steep incline changes and have yet to hit anything. Lowering the CTS gave a huge improvement in its stance. It also helps handling to boot.
 

·
Registered
2005 & 2008 CTS
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
If you do lower it, don't ever expect your alignment to be on and plan on spending some dough on tires more often than normal.
 

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
Joined
·
733 Posts
jonnyd said:
thanks for the information!!! Was just pondering it. I am nervous to lower my car...because everyday coming into work i have to go over a dip, which scares me if i were to lower the car. But when I look at it from the side i want to sooooo bad. I just dont know whether I want to or not. Dont want to screw up my front.
More speed, no. Better handling and style, yes. I used the Eibach springs and lowered mine 1.2" front and rear. No problems with scrapes, but do be cautious.:peeking:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
I want the Hotchkis springs for mine, the only holding me back is my driveway is like a 45 degree angle, if not steeper. My father has a 2005 Chrysler 300C, and we installed the Borla exhaust with the 3" tips; the tips scrape if he doesn't cut it sharp enough...
 

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cadiman1983 said:
I want the Hotchkis springs for mine, the only holding me back is my driveway is like a 45 degree angle, if not steeper. My father has a 2005 Chrysler 300C, and we installed the Borla exhaust with the 3" tips; the tips scrape if he doesn't cut it sharp enough...
My driveway is kinda the same way...like sometimes i think i hear my bottom front hit it but i dunno. I am going to get the B&B exhaust....they have 4.5" elliptical tips. I wish I could get borla, if it didnt void warranty :mad: That is what worries me.

Did you guys have any warranty on your car before the installation of lowering springs?? Did it void your warranty instaling the lowering kit??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
The Borla exhaust shouldn't void warranty at all, it didn't on my fathers 300C, and I've talked to the dealership here, and they said it won't void mine.

From my understanding, the warranty usually works like this: if you upgrade your exhaust system, the warranty for the rest of the car is still good, it just doesn't cover the new exhaust system, which is understandable. Also, as long as the upgrade doesn't cause any problems to the rest of your car, the warranty is still good. Like if you install the exhaust, but something is wrong with it, and it damages your engine somehow, your warranty won't cover it because you in essence caused the damage.
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
Cadiman1983 said:
The Borla exhaust shouldn't void warranty at all, it didn't on my fathers 300C, and I've talked to the dealership here, and they said it won't void mine.

From my understanding, the warranty usually works like this: if you upgrade your exhaust system, the warranty for the rest of the car is still good, it just doesn't cover the new exhaust system, which is understandable. Also, as long as the upgrade doesn't cause any problems to the rest of your car, the warranty is still good. Like if you install the exhaust, but something is wrong with it, and it damages your engine somehow, your warranty won't cover it because you in essence caused the damage.
IT REALLY VARIES WITH THE DEALERSHIP. GM HAS ISSUED WRITTEN INSRUCTIONS TO THE DEALERSHIPS THAT ANYTHING THAT ADDS HORSEPOWER OR TORQUE VOIDS THE WARRANTY. YOU NEED TO TALK TO YOUR SERVICE MANAGER TO BE SAFE.

Most dealerships try to work with you as they want the repeat business.
 

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cadiman1983 said:
The Borla exhaust shouldn't void warranty at all, it didn't on my fathers 300C, and I've talked to the dealership here, and they said it won't void mine.

From my understanding, the warranty usually works like this: if you upgrade your exhaust system, the warranty for the rest of the car is still good, it just doesn't cover the new exhaust system, which is understandable. Also, as long as the upgrade doesn't cause any problems to the rest of your car, the warranty is still good. Like if you install the exhaust, but something is wrong with it, and it damages your engine somehow, your warranty won't cover it because you in essence caused the damage.
hmmmm...because I talked to my service guy at the dealership and he stated borla would void warranty...that was even with the warranty expert! Unless maybe I need to find a new dealership to take my car into:thepan:

I will try and bring that up to them and see what they say. I really want a borla exhaust sooooooo bad...but i need to maintain warranty! :dammit:
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
jonnyd said:
hmmmm...because I talked to my service guy at the dealership and he stated borla would void warranty...that was even with the warranty expert! Unless maybe I need to find a new dealership to take my car into:thepan:

I will try and bring that up to them and see what they say. I really want a borla exhaust sooooooo bad...but i need to maintain warranty! :dammit:
Go to the salesman who sold you the car and ask him if he would like to have you as a repeat customer. Tell him how unreasonable the service dept is. Tell him most dealerships try to sell you GM supported Corsa exhausts. That is so stupid!!
 

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
Joined
·
733 Posts
:cool:
jonnyd said:
hmmmm...because I talked to my service guy at the dealership and he stated borla would void warranty...that was even with the warranty expert! Unless maybe I need to find a new dealership to take my car into:thepan:

I will try and bring that up to them and see what they say. I really want a borla exhaust sooooooo bad...but i need to maintain warranty! :dammit:
The Corsa exhaust system will not void your warranty and is available through gmpartsdirect.com. :cool:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top