Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ask the above mentioned question because of a personal experience with the issue. So what do all of you think??

Is there still such a thing as company loyalty? A good company that rewards it's employees and looks inside the company to promote from within instead of abandoning it's employee and always outsourcing promotions. Offers good benefits and promotes higher education so that employee will learn new skills that will prove to be valuable for the company.

What about employee loyalty? Where as an employee strives to move up in the company. Said employee may even stay at said company when another better paying job may come along. The reason for this being enjoyment of work, likeable atmosphere, job security, and company support.

So, have any of you dealt with this issue? Where do you stand regarding this situation?

For those of you who own a business, Do you think that you are an employee loyal company? Do your employees have company loyalty(based on company moral or your personal belief)?

Just wanting to hear from my fellow forum members, because this very scenario may be in my future.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't think so anymore - other than small/family run companies. We are in a new era of Robber Barons protected by the government. Pity really, as a better way exists.

I know that Japan is no Utopia, but I do like their corporate worldview - the country is roughly the size of California and yet is the 2nd most powerful economy. How? Well, this is an area where the "in-group/out-group mentality really comes into play. They are ALL Japanese against the world - both management and workers. If one side loses, then they both lose. The government will never allow a long term labor dispute because 1. it's not good for business and 2. It looks bad. Also, management doesn't make the insane amount of money compared to worker salary that we have inthe US. Company does bad, no golden parachute for you. It's not perfect but it is better than what we have today.

How can anyone be loyal to a company that is constantly watching to see when is the perfect time to close the plant and outsource jobs?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Yes it does

Nowadays it is exists less, but its still there

Every assistant architect i have taken on has started from the beginning, and worked up, nobody "gets in at the top" at my offices. It emans i train them MY way and they understant me and each other.

On the flipside, my dad left a job because loyalty to the company went down the toilet bowl, once upon a time the place he worked ran as a partnership all of the employees were "partners"

then it became profit driven.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
It begins with the individual and spreads from there. If the company is comprised of individuals from the mail room to the board room, janitor to Chariman of the Board with individuals who live by a code of integrity, honor and respect you will see a company with a strong sense of loyalty both for the company and it's employees.

Am I typing a fairy tale here? Looking at today's societies one might easily come to that conclusion. Greed and avarice seem to have replaced honesty and integrity today.

If the highest level of leadership runs personal and business affairs with a code of honor those following him/her/them will be more likely to follow that lead. If the code is greed or me first then I would not expect those following to be much better.

I have worked 27 years in the construction industry, I have worked for a number of companies. At one place, my only sense of appreciation from the company was to receive one check on Friday (two checks mean you are laid off). On the other side, I worked at a place where the main man was a friend as well as employer. He became a friend to his employees, there was a strong sense of loyalty on both sides. He has since passed and his company sold to someone who did not share his qualities.

So, because this is America, I decided to start my own company with the intent of building a working atmosphere of trust, honor, and loyalty to the individual as well as the company. It's still early yet and has been a difficult path. I don't expect to become rich through this, my primary goal is to make an honest living at a place that is not dreadful to come to work at.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I think that the desire for company & employee loyalty is one of the reasons there is such an explosion in small businesses and shrinkage in corporate America.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The company I work for (ADP- Automatic Data Processing), there is loyalty. Company is always offering open positions to employee's, offers to pay a portion of schooling and if departments end up shutting down they offer them other positions (sometimes it requires movement else where but still an option.

MacK

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
addison_ii said:
What about employee loyalty? Where as an employee strives to move up in the company. Said employee may even stay at said company when another better paying job may come along. The reason for this being enjoyment of work, likeable atmosphere, job security, and company support.
As part owner of a modelling agency, I can tell you that most people have to realize that if they don't work hard, are not willing to be flexible on a time schedule, or have attitute, then they will not get much work, period. In this business, when the client is happy, the model makes money, then we make money, it really all up to the employee (model)

A sense of "loyality" must come from the individual themselves, and a sense of pride in performing well and knowing they have done as good a job as they could. There is really no "moving up" in this type of business, but if the client is happy, then we get our 15 %.

I worked the construction field for years also, and the vast majority of the guys showed up for work either drunk or hung over. I don't think some of them had much sense of pride, etc. but as long as they got the job done and they got paid, they were satisfied I suppose, or just got by.

But I think there has to be some loyality, pride, etc. among the employees or the business will fail. So is "just getting by" good enough? Or is it better to personally take pride in your work and make the company you work for benefit to help benefit yourself in return?

In the 1950's companies strived to be larger because larger meant "better" and more profit. Notice how companies have been downsizing in the last generation because "leaner" is viewed as "more profitable," and today that is the trend. (ya, more profitable for the guy at the top.)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my situation is this: The company I work for started ot as a family owned company 18 years ago. They offer average wages, good benefits(free dental, 60% med/vision, 401k, and profit sharing checks every quarter)however they are now owned by an international corporation Mustad Corp. they have been through at least 5 changes in the last decade alone.At one time they were labor organized(union)but within the last 3 years they have voted out the union. The raises under the union were higher but working conditions were poorer. I only make 10/hr. I want to be a homeowner by the age of 30. At this rate I don't see that happening, when the average price of a home is 167,000. homes that would retail for 50,000 in MI. We get 2 weeks of vacation time in December(company shutdown)that we get paid for 1week. We have the option of a buyout were we take a .23cent hourly cut to pay for the other week. We also get 2 weeks on our yearly vacation(reaching 4 weeks at 12 years of service). There has been people here for 16 years and they aren't even making 20/hr. Question is should I stay for benefits and try to work my way up in the company, or the next opportunity that arrives, jump ship and ride the wave?? Job security is basically 100% sure. The only way to get fired is to accumulate to many absentee points(.5/occurence up to 6.0) or quit,fight,steal,etc. What do you all think?

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
addison_ii said:
A good company that rewards it's employees and looks inside the company to promote from within instead of abandoning it's employee and always outsourcing promotions. Offers good benefits and promotes higher education so that employee will learn new skills that will prove to be valuable for the company..
how ...Utopian ....that crap doesnt exist , but wouldnt it be nice if it did ?

addison_ii said:
What about employee loyalty? Where as an employee strives to move up in the company. Said employee may even stay at said company when another better paying job may come along. The reason for this being enjoyment of work, likeable atmosphere, job security, and company support..
I have moved job to job , expecting to be treated like a human being ...it doesnt happen , sorry to burst the bubble .. work sucks , thats why they give you money to ease the pain as rot your life away there

addison_ii said:
So, have any of you dealt with this issue? Where do you stand regarding this situation?..
just today i was asked " are you loyal to ______ Cadillac of Tampa?" , i said " im loyal to the brand , and to those who are here to serve customers and not just here to collect paychecks" .....When asked "ok but are you going to be loyal to me?" i said "you be loyal to me , and ill return the favor"

For years i was known as a person who was feircely loyal , but after hearing "thank you for all the hard work and dedication but we have to cut some jobs here" i decided that looking out for myself was job 1 , so nowdays when i see the organization start to fall apart im the first rat off the sinking ship ....my days of being caught with my trousers about my ankles are over ...Now im loyal to myself , and loyal to my customers ....I do whats right , if everyone wants to play along they can , if not fine too ....

·
Registered
723 Posts
addison_ii said:
Question is should I stay for benefits and try to work my way up in the company, or the next opportunity that arrives, jump ship and ride the wave??
I heard a good saying the other day, "learn in your 20's, earn in your 30's".

I would suggest that if you don't have a degree that you contributing some free time to pursuing a degree program in a local school or an online university so that you are more marketable than an hourly-wage job. If the people that have been there 20 years aren't earning more than $20 an hour I would say that your future there is not so bright.

If you are intent on staying with the company then ask them if they will subsidize you taking some management classes or pursuing a degree program.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks FSU_Noles, I have been thinking about that. I have looked into several local campuses as well as online. I think that is the way I'm going to proceed.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
yes , ill have to agree that you need to get edjumacated....make sure its accredited and that the school wont jack you around like mine has ...the only reason im still going is to complete what i set out to do in the fall of 98 ...im sure downt he road it will pay off ....and i still hope its my ticket out of this hole ...

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I work for Bank of America. Best company I have ever worked for and they are pretty big. I turned down an offer for 10k more from a previous employer I worked for in San Antonio and hated because Im so comfortable with the bank. I work in infrastructure support and my job is not terribly difficult yet rewarding, I get paid very well for my age and qualifications, and Im very very close with my manager and HIS manager. They have alot of layoffs/downsizing like any other company, but they will ALWAYS strive to find their internal employees alternate placement with equal or HIGHER compensation in an alternate position rather than look outside the company. Their benefits are second to none and include 5000.00 Associate Home Ownership program towards a home that doesnt need to be paid back unless you leave before a certain time period. Its always a fun enjoyable atmosphere as well and promotion from within is VERY high, EVEN if you have less qualifications than an outsider.

I started out as a Customer service rep in 2001 and moved rapidly up the ladder from there, I made the mistake of leaving in 2004 and lost my titles, but they are just titles and Ill get them back eventually.

I wouldnt gloat about this place so much if it werent true, I really do enjoy it thoroughly. Its one of the few good things in my life right now :)

·
Super Moderator
22,398 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
I work for Bank of America. Best company I have ever worked for
I met a lady from Bank of America who worked her way up, way up, after starting right out of high school in their check processing department. Amazing how well they treat people for such a large organization.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
14 Participants
fast66