Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac CTS sedan. VANILLA LATTE
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying a grocery getter in the $15K range next spring and certainly the used ATS sells around that.
And I know that forums tend to attract the negative, what with folks looking for fixes, etc.
But....in reading this particular forum it appears that the CUE system does truly suck.
Well, I can live with slow response etc....but I can't live with $2000 repairs.
Of course, trannys can drop, engines can blow and cost even more than that. But.....the odds are very good
that given reasonable care this will never happen.
It's just that...............it "appears" that a CUE replacement becomes inevitable......especially with more miles/usage?
In your opinion.....is this true? Will ALL ATS need a new CUE? Or MOST? Or MANY? Or... only a few? In say......
100,000 miles? Of course.... no one knows. But everybody has an opinion?
Obviously I would love to buy one of these.....but as a retired guy with limited resources, I am trying to find something that
is relatively reliable.
Whatcha think? Would you recommend this to your Dad? Grand dad? (BTW...I am 81 years old)

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
402 Posts
If your budget is 15k, find one for 12k, so you can afford the repairs. Never budget for something that if something goes wrong you can't afford to fix it, that works for everything in life. CUE is the least of your worries depending on the model you choose(and CUE doesn't cost anywhere close to 2k to fix).

Just do whats right for your financial situation, if your just looking for a grocery getter, then there are plenty of brands that are reliable at just that. Sports cars are akin to some sort of mechanical issue, especially when it is the first model year.

Hope that was helpful.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,864 Posts
CadillacGM gave you great advice!

CUE is most likely to be problematic in hot areas of the country where the screen is prone to shattering/cracking; otherwise the failure rate due to partial/total loss of screen response and other issues is moderate but almost every vehicle has its own "CUE problem area" where there are one or more known platform weak spots. But luxury and sports cars tend to have more bells and whistles so there is more to go wrong and a lot of the necessary operating components are more complex than they would be on lower price vehicles.

I love the size, handling, and overall performance of my 2014 ATS but it will be going down the road soon because I don't want to deal with a lot of issues that are probably awaiting me. At this point I am not sure what will replace it but after really liking my 2008 CTS and having so far a decent overall ownership experience with the ATS, I am not impressed with current GM behavior (CUE, 8L90/8L45 transmission issues, NEVER addressed track overheating issues with the C7 Z06, still waiting for nearly a year for them to address a replacement for the recalled fire prone block heater cord in my 2018 GMC Denali diesel pickup, etc.). I had high hopes for the current CEO of GM to correct the course of the mothership but those hopes have all but faded at this point.

For primarily a grocery getter, I would look at something a little simpler than the ATS. Happy shopping!

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
Most buy this car because they value the performance and handling. If reliability is your main interest, and want an ATS as a grocery getter, I'd look for a base model with the 2.5l engine. You can get it one without CUE, although I like nice CUE screen. Those should be cheap. Might even find a 2015 or 2016 for $15k if you cast a wide net and negotiate hard.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Luxury
34 Posts
We purchased our 2014 2.0T AWD in April 2016 and there was an issue with the CUE screen which was replaced by the dealer under warranty. The car had 66K kms at the time and now has 115k kms. No issues in the past 3 years except for a small "Y" shaped coolant hose which developed a leak and I replaced myself (cost of part was $50). It's been a great car for us and a pleasure to drive. Knocks on wood....

My other car is a 2006 Volvo S60R (bought in 2008) which are generally expensive to run (like most halo cars) so 3-year experience with the ATS has been positive so far.

·
Registered
2013 ATS4 3.6L Premium
253 Posts
The CUE touchscreen WILL fail on you, but the rest should be reasonably reliable. Replacing the screen-only is a great option, as it's low cost and could be done on your own. If not, an electronics shop or a fellow member may be able to help. I think one user here as started a "business" doing this? Maybe I'm imagining.

Once that issue is out of the way, the car is reasonably reliable. I don't find CUE to be too slow on my '13 Premium 3.6L AWD. CUE is not "fast" by any means, but it works well enough. I don't use the navigation in there at all, but I guess that makes the slowness more notable.

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac CTS sedan. VANILLA LATTE
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
some good info here. Y'all failed to dissuade me.LOL!
Some points
Don't buy a 15K if that is all you have. - Hmmnnn/ I have a great deal more than that but the way I got that was living below my means and budgeting.
Buy something simpler - Sure. One could always buy a toyota corolla. Never break Looks boring and drives the same way.....no thanks.

If y'all looked at the pix on my post you would see the 2011 CTS I use as a grocery getter at my other home in Oklahoma. Bought it almost two years ago. Just a run about... Shopping/Dr appts/ visiting friends/ etc About 4000 miles per year. It has been flawless. I certainly could buy another one of these for my Florida home. But I was just wondering about a newer, smaller answer that was still "a cut above"....:)

·
Registered
2016 CTS 2.0 AWD Luxury
951 Posts
RedRover, in your original post you asked would you recommend this to your dad or granddad?

You want a sharp car that's fun to drive. You are not looking for issues but can manage a spendy repair if one presents. You enjoy your present position due to prudent use of financial resources. You are 81 years old. My dad asked me similar questions when he was considering certain purchases. My response was that I would never tell him not to spend his money because I have my own. He'd laugh and go buy what he already new he wanted.

You're not dissuaded so go for it!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,059 Posts
I say, go for it. I enjoy it every time I drive my car ... you will, too. As for a budget of $15k, you should easily be able to find a low-mileage '13/'14 ATS for that. Check the CUE for proper operation (if so-equipped), and check for differential leaks. All the rest is normal stuff you'd check on any other car. Good luck!

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,464 Posts
I agree with rsingl...I moved on for most of the same reasons. I wanted an ATS-V Coupe but Cadillac salesman would move on the price which was close to cost of a Hellcat. So, I settled for a Scat Pack.

Now all that being said, you should know what you will potentially run into and if that is acceptable then go for it. Me, I would go for a late 14.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
66 Posts
Id look else where. Unless youre dead set on having an ATS and have about 10 grand set aside for repairs.

major failures:
Cue screen cracked - 10k miles
Torque converter failure - 22k miles
Differential failure - 40k miles

If it still somehow has the runflat tires, they will be rock hard and you will want to replace those soon as well.

Would i recommend this car to my dad or grand dad? I wouldnt recommend this car to anyone.

now, negatives aside. The 3.6l is awesome and sounds great as well. The awd system has had 0 issues in Buffalo Ny weathers. Im 6 foot 2 and fit comfortably in the drivers seat. The car handles wel in general also.

as for CUE, id plan on the actual screen itself failing. CUE is nothing fancy and doesnt offer much but i have no complaints with it.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6M Premium
73 Posts
How much do you like your mechanic? I have a love/hate relationship with mine. It's awesome when everything is working, but often something is broken or is starting to fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will be buying a grocery getter in the $15K range next spring and certainly the used ATS sells around that.
And I know that forums tend to attract the negative, what with folks looking for fixes, etc.
But....in reading this particular forum it appears that the CUE system does truly suck.
Of course, trannys can drop, engines can blow and cost even more than that. But.....the odds are very good
It's just that...............it "appears" that a CUE replacement becomes inevitable......especially with more miles/usage?
In your opinion.....is this true? Will ALL ATS need a new CUE? Or MOST? Or MANY? Or... only a few? In say......
Obviously I would love to buy one of these.....but as a retired guy with limited resources, I am trying to find something that
is relatively reliable.
Whatcha think? Would you recommend this to your Dad? Grand dad? (BTW...I am 81 years old)
is relatively reliable.
Funny great minds think a like. I took that approach this spring. Bought 2014 ATS 2.0 base 35000 miles. Giving up my granny odyssey with 260000 miles. It's got everything. By next spring you won't pay anywhere near that. Get a low mileage, good service history. Mine had a minor wreck no issues well cared for. Hardly looked sat in. It's a 2.0 it never needs gas but when you want to go it's runs like my camaro holy cow. Have fun treat yourself. Now if you are Over 6 ft consider cts Jb

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,794 Posts
buying an ATS? better get a boat load of spare differential you will need them.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 T
1 Posts
My 2013 ATS 2.0 tubby has been fantastic...until! Differential failed 2 months ago. Cadillac has not manufactured replacements, can't be rebuilt an now GM strike. Apparently the rear ends are problematic and many cars are idle nationally right now due to no replacement parts. Very sad because I really love the car overall.

·
Registered
2016 ATS 2.0T AWD
20 Posts
I have a ‘16 2.0T AWD and see that now some of them are going pretty cheaply, near 15k. They have better reviews on the Cue (mine is good) and I enjoy it a lot, so far. Bought early ‘19. I went with the ATS because I like the driving dynamics and have heard how expensive Audi/ BMW repairs can get. It shares a lot of common GM parts.

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
402 Posts
My 2013 ATS 2.0 tubby has been fantastic...until! Differential failed 2 months ago. Cadillac has not manufactured replacements, can't be rebuilt an now GM strike. Apparently the rear ends are problematic and many cars are idle nationally right now due to no replacement parts. Very sad because I really love the car overall.
Is this a 2.0L thing, or is does the AWD 3.6L have that issue as well.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,864 Posts
Is this a 2.0L thing, or is does the AWD 3.6L have that issue as well.
It affects them all and also the 2nd generation CTS. I think the primary failure reason is the axle seals are very prone to failure and leakage but the leakage is fairly slow meaning it often goes unnoticed and the differential doesn't hold much fluid so it gets destroyed from running dry. I have no idea why something as simple as axle seals that have been made reliably for decades have suddenly become a problem but they have for this axle assembly, probably cost engineering at its worst but it has cost GM quite a bit in warranty repairs.

At least it looks like a very good chance the strike will soon end so parts will start moving again. Hopefully that means they will install a new block heater or cord assembly for my 2018 GMC 2500HD before winter gets here. A design/manufacturing flaw in the last few years of the block heaters for these Duramax diesel engines creates a fire hazard and new trucks have the cord removed by the dealer if it wasn't already cut at the factory. The block heater is another example of a dirt simple device that has been made reliably since at least the 1940s but somehow we can no longer produce reliably with our modern design and manufacturing technology.

A couple of generations of the 4WD pickups had another ridiculous powertrain failure. The transfer case was made of magnesium, a reasonable choice, but the fluid pump shaft would wear a hole in the case after the hardened clip between it and the relatively soft magnesium failed and when this happened you became a member of the "pump rub club". The leak was slow and not noticeable until the case ran dry and destroyed itself. Aftermarket clips were made to prevent the problem (I installed one in my 2006 GMC 2500HD) but it took GM many years to finally have the supplier modify the design so it no longer was a failure waiting to happen.

Rodger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts