Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS / 2016 ATS-V
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read almost all of the threads on CAI's and made the decision to install a drop in K&N filter since the factory air box does a good job of keeping heat out and drawing fresh air, BUt I have also read on how that stupid intake tube is junk and restrictive so I was wondering if anyone made a "kit" that would consist of a redisigned intake tube(preferably plastic), clamps and coupers??

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm looking now as we speak to fab or have someone fab one to fit my engine space now that it's a tad bigger - just need it to be 90mm TB compatitble and roughly the size of a stock in fitment but need a larger circumference...

Volant Box + Filter + stock tube = sucks

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
1st Pic is what my 05 V had at one time.
2nd Pic is what it has now.

Is one of those what you guys had in mind?

Interestingly, I was thinking of changing it, but I am not sure what else to go with.
Would a Volant or even stock Air-Box work as good as the LPE?

I'm not sure where that plastic tube was sourced.
However, I can try to find out if it's something you guys are interested in.

FYI - I don't have posession of this car yet so I can't provide much further info at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Stealth Engineering made at one time a 3.5" aluminum intake tube. Have not seen it marketed lately.
I made up my own 4" intake tube, which will fit either the OEM or Lingenfelter filters. Clearance is very tight, and I mean very tight. I relocated the MAF for room to a location just before the intake elbow. This required making up wire extensions to the MAF. I bought my materials from www.airflo.com.

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
Chef - The ci's are similar to your latest menu item 427.

I imagine there once was some problem, as the hard tube was shortened.
(compare old 1st pic to new 2nd pic).
I can only speculate it had to do with engine movement and lack of flex.
The new longer section of soft tube must allow for things to move around.
I'll be sure to ask more questions about the history behind the change when I pick the car up from the shop.

·
Registered
2013 ATS / 2016 ATS-V
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone seen a 90* silicone hose that would go from the t/b directly to the maf, Im looking to keep it neat and cean so im looking to do it with one single piece and being that its silicone the clearance issue would be less to worry about.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Has anyone seen a 90* silicone hose that would go from the t/b directly to the maf, Im looking to keep it neat and cean so im looking to do it with one single piece and being that its silicone the clearance issue would be less to worry about.
Mine is a work in progress...this is what we have thus far. Although the stainless piece looks good, it conducts WAY to much heat. We are going to switch to all rubber. It works well and sounds great when you get on the gas. The guys of www.vewtt-air.com are working on this for our CTS-V's. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Stainless piece looks good, it conducts WAY to much heat
My homemade CAI (StealthV modeled) consisting of stainless tube wrapped in pipe insulation. I am not sure the SS pipe actually transmits that much heat for the duration of the airflow, but sitting in traffic like we do in SoCal in rush hour, I figured any little thing helps. The insulated pipe is actually way cooler to the touch then the rubber elbows and this is after sitting on the parking lots we like to call freeways.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 ATS / 2016 ATS-V
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its funny how most of theese "cold air intakes" look like hot air intakes,Underhood temps on theese cars is insane and having an open element sucking it all up =a bad idea. A steel intake tube will retain alot of heat as mentioned above, thin wall aluminum tubing unpainted is best at dissapating heat but plastic and rubber work also but not as well.I fabbed up an intake on my GN which is not daily driver friendly (open element under fender shield) but do not want to make a project out of this with this car plus if you really look into it GM did a decent job on the air box design it just that stupid tube that should be improved IMO.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
...I can only speculate it had to do with engine movement and lack of flex....
I have a StelthV FFV V2 + an LPE CAI. The FFV uses the hard polished aluminum tube, and the silicone elbow (3.5 to 4"). When I first set it up I was having a lot of problems with engine movement, pulling the seals of the intake tubing apart. I finally discovered that tighting all the connections up nice and tight, and then leaving the connections at the LPE 'air-box' divider to engine compartment bolts fairly loose, was the way to go. This lets the box move enough, that it doesn't rip the intake tubing apart. It also keeps the box in place enough to function as designed. I haven't had any connections come loose in over a year with this method.

-Chris

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
its funny how most of theese "cold air intakes" look like hot air intakes,Underhood temps on theese cars is insane and having an open element sucking it all up =a bad idea. A steel intake tube will retain alot of heat as mentioned above, thin wall aluminum tubing unpainted is best at dissapating heat but plastic and rubber work also but not as well.I fabbed up an intake on my GN which is not daily driver friendly (open element under fender shield) but do not want to make a project out of this with this car plus if you really look into it GM did a decent job on the air box design it just that stupid tube that should be improved IMO.
Like I said in my first post, this is a work in progress. Making a "box" around the filter is a must. Due to the SS piece air temps rose from 111 to 143 in a single dyno run. The end placement of the filter will be closer to the grill. This is what they came up with one Saturday, we'll see how it evolves over the next month.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts